Great Article About Chicago Music Scene In The 90s

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
My band started playing around 1995 in Chicago. We were all local lads. There was all this talk about how Chicago was going to be a huge music center, but it just never really happened. There were successes, but things seemed to fade away pretty quickly. Our band certainty did not reap any benefit from it. Honestly, the scene felt dead to me by the time we were up and going.

sergiodeblanc

Yeah, "You Weren't There" was really good! This one interests me because... I was there. I was in one of the bands in the trailer, recorded a bunch of those bands, and see a ton of my old buddies were interviewed. It'll be a nostalgia trip for me.

I saw they just had a screening last week so I'm not sure where it's available to watch.

That Pitchfork piece was pretty interesting, I hope they do more.

grind1

Right? That's why I hope Pitchfork continues on with this series.

I had drinks tonight with a conservative middle-aged couple that got busy in the men's bathroom. :eek:
Ugh. Hideous. That's on par if not worse than going #2 in the CBGBs toilet. When Jimmy finally "remodeled" the bathroom at Fireside, the tiles came off the wall around the sinks and urinals and had the consistency of moist cake. I do not know how the sinks stayed mounted to the wall.

Heinz57Pep

Those were good years. Still miss Lounge Ax.
Among the most unfortunate casualties to gentrification I can think of. Loudest PA in town.

How could an article about Chicago in the 90's not mention the Fireside Bowl?
Our band house was not far from there, on Rockwell between Milwaukee (Congress Theater) and Fullerton (Bob Inn). Last I checked it was still standing, though I highly doubt the rent is still $1200 a month (we had six people living there, so $200 a person).

I arrived in Chicago to do the band thing in September 1991, the same week Nevermind and Blood Sugar Sex Magik were released (so, right when the rock scene was about to change completely). Called it quits (for the most part) after a February 1997 gig at the Double Door. My bands were not part of the Jesus Lizard/Lounge Ax scene but were on the periphery in a network of peer bands that were pretty kickass, but alas, essentially ignored. It was a great time to be in a band in Chicago, that's for sure. Tons of fun and great (albeit foggy) memories. @supergenius365 had a good take on it above.

And should anyone doubt by '90s Chicago cred:

sergiodeblanc

Ugh. Hideous. That's on par if not worse than going #2 in the CBGBs toilet. When Jimmy finally "remodeled" the bathroom at Fireside, the tiles came off the wall around the sinks and urinals and had the consistency of moist cake. I do not know how the sinks stayed mounted to the wall.
Hehe.. I felt so bad for touring bands that must've survived hours in their vans clenching their buttocks only to arrive there. I recall using bottled water to wash up rather than touch anything in those bathrooms!

... Called it quits (for the most part) after a February 1997 gig at the Double Door. My bands were not part of the Jesus Lizard/Lounge Ax scene but were on the periphery in a network of peer bands that were pretty kickass, but alas, essentially ignored. It was a great time to be in a band in Chicago, that's for sure. Tons of fun and great (albeit foggy) memories. @supergenius365 had a good take on it above.

Bangin'! You were in The Fiasco?

Yeah, one of my bands Monster Trux was in that similar Double Door scene... The last time I played there (about a year or two ago) they were holding an Arts & Crafts fair and tryin' to charge extra for seats above the merch booths and bathrooms by calling it the "V.I.P." area. o_O

Heinz57Pep

Sh!t. That's even cooler!
Hahaha kind of, yes. He did a magic marker drawing of the house. I wish I had it. Would probably be worth big bucks today!

But yeah, we were in the Double Door/Thurstons/Elbo Room/Avalon etc. circuit (Avalon, what a club). Did a few Metro shows too, including our CD release show:

Bobby D

damn, you guys make me sad I wasn't here more back in those days. I really still kinda dig Local H.....

some nice venues up here now. Just did Durty Nellies last weekend and that was a great venue. So was HOME Bar the week before. nice to see big stages with nice production in the club scene again. I'm sick of the four dudes in a sports bar with two Mackie speakers on stands gigs...

bayAreaDude

The 90's scene died down along with guitar based music in general. When I was in high school there in the early 90's, most everyone I know was in some kind of a band or at least played. You were super famous if you could get a show at the Thirsty Whale, Metro, or the Vic. Going to these shows was the thing to do every single weekend. Just a few years later, high school age kids stopped playing music and were content to just consume it through DJ's.

Trending Topics