Great article on Power Pop

mikebat

I had my fingers crossed that they would mention Jellyfish. I need help because I think I am the only person on earth that mourns the fact that there are only two full length releases from Andy Sturmer and Jellyfish.

Stratonator

I had my fingers crossed that they would mention Jellyfish. I need help because I think I am the only person on earth that mourns the fact that there are only two full length releases from Andy Sturmer and Jellyfish.
No, but you are correct that they are criminally underrated or unknown.

FWIW, there's a fantastic live gig REALLY well recorded that I bought where they play lots of stuff including some covers of Steppenwolf, McCartney, Badfinger, and Player.

It's called Jellyfish, Live at Bogart's 1991. They all play so so well. They're touring in the context of promoting BellyButton.

Another album is them performing these tunes live acoustically on radio shows in Europe.

And finally, there's another one where it's simply Spilt Milk without any vocals whatsoever. It really shows the gorgeous instrumental arrangements clearly and, if you're courageous enough to attempt Karaoke, you can. ;)

Crowder

Dang Twangler
There were a few omissions from the time frame in question (Split Enz anyone?) but I think the article was meant to cover the emergence of the genre rather than provide an in-depth history. The Cars and The Producers were mentioned but those bands were active in the late 70's. Jellyfish was much later.

mikebat

There were a few omissions from the time frame in question (Split Enz anyone?) but I think the article was meant to cover the emergence of the genre rather than provide an in-depth history. The Cars and The Producers were mentioned but those bands were active in the late 70's. Jellyfish was much later.
Agree, but the article could have gone on to talk about the continuation of power pop. Fountains of Wayne, Fastball, Marcy Playground... :)

Blanket Jackson

Every day is like Tio's birthday
Gold Supporting Member
The Raspberries are another great Power Pop band. :)

Overnight Sensation is a fantastic song.
Go All The Way is the perfect power pop song IMHO. Some of my earliest musical memories are hearing that song on a small transistor AM radio.

Trending Topics