Great bands that never got enough of a shot...

Cry of Love (Audley Freed). They were as good as The Black Crowes and/or Blackberry Smoke IMO.

Never heard them before but right away I can hear why. FM radio still made bands and with Play centralized programming
lists they sound too much like the Crows. I can see CC going great stuff but we have that sound already.

thewalkingboss

Silver Supporting Member
Zebra. Too late to establish themselves as a prog band, and more mainstream hard rock than hair metal, 1983 was just the wrong time to release their debut album, produced my none other than Jack Douglas. They are still together and active, though.

AA864

Never heard them before but right away I can hear why. FM radio still made bands and with Play centralized programming
lists they sound too much like the Crows. I can see CC going great stuff but we have that sound already.
I didn't realize there was a quota on good music ...

Mattbedrock

Silver Supporting Member

I had the chance to open for The Producers a couple of times back in the early 80's. They were as good or better than anything on MTV at the time but never quite got over the top. They were really nice guys as well.

They're still playing and still sound great. See them if you get the chance.

NorCal_Val

And while I was never a fan of Motley Crue outside of a few songs, I actually paid cash money and bought the record they did with John Corabi.

Crabs didn't get a fair shot here, because McGee and their label got cold feet and made them bring Vince back.

Who else would you put on this list?
The album John Corabi did with The Scream was far better than the Crüe album. Another album released at “the wrong time”.
I actually got to see them play in Austin, at The Backroom, in early ‘92. Great rock(not hair metal) band. Bruce Boulliet was playing a Les Paul through old Marshalls and still had his same “sonic signature” he had in Racer X.(that was eye opening)

makeitstop

The album John Corabi did with The Scream was far better than the Crüe album. Another album released at “the wrong time”.
I actually got to see them play in Austin, at The Backroom, in early ‘92. Great rock(not hair metal) band. Bruce Boulliet was playing a Les Paul through old Marshalls and still had his same “sonic signature” he had in Racer X.(that was eye opening)
Agreed. The Scream record was excellent. That's why I got so excited when I heard that Crue was doing an album with Corabi, because Vince was always the weak link in that band.

I saw Corabi at a club on LI a couple of years ago, and he did the Crue record in its entirety. Nailed it.

I went in thinking that the entire show would stand or fall with the drumming (Crabs' vocals were never even a question), because Tommy Lee was an absolute beast on that record. The drummer got as close as he could get without actually being Tommy Lee.

Turns out the drummer was Corabi's son. Impressive.

sahhas

Supporting Member
I always thought the Riverdogs, from their 1st album should have been bigger, they had great songs.

Always sort of bummed that Nuno Bettencourt in his solo career isn't bigger, I think his material is just great and he's a great singer....