Great bands that never got enough of a shot...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by makeitstop, Sep 11, 2019 at 11:14 AM.

1. bluesmeanie

bluesmeanie Member

I don't know if they did more than one album but I have "Piece Of Your Soul" and it's incredibly good. Excellent vocals, guitaring, songwriting, production... it has it all.

2. twotone

twotone Member

3. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Never heard them before but right away I can hear why. FM radio still made bands and with Play centralized programming
    lists they sound too much like the Crows. I can see CC going great stuff but we have that sound already.

4. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

5. dazar

dazar Member

The Joneses from Boston--great Free/JBG influenced band with Billy Loosigian on guitar

6. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Love this band...John Schlitt on vocals and Mike Somerville on guitar...the Live album is one of the reasons I picked up a guitar.

7. thewalkingboss

thewalkingboss Silver Supporting Member

Zebra. Too late to establish themselves as a prog band, and more mainstream hard rock than hair metal, 1983 was just the wrong time to release their debut album, produced my none other than Jack Douglas. They are still together and active, though.

TFR, makeitstop and Mattbedrock like this.
  8. AA864

AA864 Member

I didn't realize there was a quota on good music ...

9. AA864

AA864 Member

Big Hat - Audley Freed, Peter Stroud, Robert Kerns from Sheryl Crows band

I know it was just a side EP project, but it would be nice to hear more and get a tour rolling.

halliganjoel and THROBAK like this.
  10. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

This plus a thousand.

Wolfgangsta, Mattbedrock and AA864 like this.
  11. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I had the chance to open for The Producers a couple of times back in the early 80's. They were as good or better than anything on MTV at the time but never quite got over the top. They were really nice guys as well.

They're still playing and still sound great. See them if you get the chance.

12. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Turn on a classic rock station, it is micro managed by tempo and key let alone style. Quotas all over. There is to the powers that be who use market research not the heart

Hot In The Shade likes this.
  13. dwk302

dwk302 Member

14. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

The album John Corabi did with The Scream was far better than the Crüe album. Another album released at “the wrong time”.
    I actually got to see them play in Austin, at The Backroom, in early ‘92. Great rock(not hair metal) band. Bruce Boulliet was playing a Les Paul through old Marshalls and still had his same “sonic signature” he had in Racer X.(that was eye opening)

makeitstop likes this.
  15. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

Agreed. The Scream record was excellent. That's why I got so excited when I heard that Crue was doing an album with Corabi, because Vince was always the weak link in that band.

I saw Corabi at a club on LI a couple of years ago, and he did the Crue record in its entirety. Nailed it.

I went in thinking that the entire show would stand or fall with the drumming (Crabs' vocals were never even a question), because Tommy Lee was an absolute beast on that record. The drummer got as close as he could get without actually being Tommy Lee.

Turns out the drummer was Corabi's son. Impressive.

NorCal_Val likes this.
  16. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

I always thought the Riverdogs, from their 1st album should have been bigger, they had great songs.

Always sort of bummed that Nuno Bettencourt in his solo career isn't bigger, I think his material is just great and he's a great singer....

NorCal_Val likes this.
  17. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

Good tune! I never heard of them, but I'm a sucker for songs with the word 'hello' in the chorus.

And that reminds me of another STP side project....

18. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

What little I’ve heard from Badlands made me think there was something there..... it was some live concert footage.

sahhas and NorCal_Val like this.