Great Clean/OD Combo that I Can Afford!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BillyK, May 24, 2006.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I need the best suggestions you guys have for my next combo amp. I've been playing for nearly 40 years and I am not making my living at it any longer. I use Strats and a Tele through vintage Fender amps (SF Princeton Reverb, BF Deluxe Reverb).

I'd like to have a combo amp other than my "collectable" vintage amps for use outside my studio. I'd like an amp with GREAT Fender cleans, but with a GREAT lead channel offering usable OD/distortion. Speakers can be 10's or 12's. Output equal to my DR (22 watts) or higher would be good.

I know I can buy a Fuchs, or similar, but my budget will need to be under $1000 - that's where your sage suggestions come in to the picture. I have access to GC discounts in the 40-50% range, so that helps, and I have no problem going with used gear.

Combos I have recently looked into include:
    - Fender Super-Sonic
    - Fender Prosonic (used)
    - Mesa Studio 22+
    - Peavey Classic 30

Am I on the right track?

2. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

A Carvin Bel Air comes to mind, with a speaker upgrade.

3. shoe

shoe Member

Peavey Classic 50

4. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

If you can get that discount on some used gear, try and score yourself a Bogner Shiva 6L6 model... fits pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

-TJK

5. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

6. opdev

opdev Member

Fender Super Sonic

7. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Great feedback so far guys.
    Keep it coming!

8. mude

mude Supporting Member

Mesa Maverick would be worth a look IMO.

Evan.

9. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I've been hearing a lot about the mods done by Jim price on the Fender Hot Rod series. It's Omegaamps.com I believe. Pick up a used one and send it to him (go over it with him first) and for well less than $1,000 you'd have an amp that fits your specs nicely. Disclaimer: I haven't heard one myself but am thinking about trying it, the reviews here and elsewhere have been nothing but raves. Ya never know.

10. hal9000

hal9000 Member

Mesa F-30 or F-50, great clean and mean.

11. K-man

K-man Member

I'd go with the Peavey classic at that price, or maybe a Rivera.

12. dave s

dave s Member

Billy:

go to your local Guitar Center and try out any of the new VOX AC amps. You'll be quite impressed and they are a totally different 'flavor' than the typical fender line you've been through.

dave

13. lanesmat

lanesmat Member

There is a used Rivera Jake head on ebay with a starting price of $800 something. Jake combos (w/ 1x12) come up from time to time. Great rig for what your looking for.

Scott L.

14. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

This might sound crazy but, even to this tube snob, the new Roland Cube 60 sounds pretty darn good, is very affordable, and very portable. It may not float your boat but it's worth a listen if you have any in your area to kick the tires....or even try one on approval from MF. FWIW....I've also been at this guitar stuff myself for 40 years and my Roland C60 has all but retired my tube amps, and I still gig. Best $340 I've spent for gear in a long time! Good luck!

15. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks guys, even more great feedback.

Cube 60 huh? I've read good things about that SS amp. I'd have to try one out and see what it's got.

Can a Mesa F-30 or 50 do real good cleans?

16. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

The Crate V-Series V30/V32 combos sound and feel really good in both clean and overdrive modes.I have the head version [V30H] and simply love it.To my ears,sounds best with my Celestion CL80 loaded Carvin 2-12 cabinet.The combo can usually be found for well under $600.00.

Ed

17. 6thstringmusic

6thstringmusic Member

Hmm- Jim @ Omega does pretty incredible work. I didn't know he modded the Hot Rod series. I think that would definitely be one of your best bets.

If you could somehow get some more cash together check out a used Carr Slant 6V.

Also I've seen used Tone King Comets going for around a grand, definitely another good choice.

18. Aahzz

Aahzz Member

I'd suggest checking the Kustom Coupe series...

19. blong

blong Supporting Member

I'll agree that a Peavey Classic 50 or a Rivera Rake Head with a decent cabinet will do wonders for you.

I own a Rake and it does a great clean/overdrive with an independent boost on both channels. I got it used well under $800. Pair it with a used Avatar 2x12 Special cab and you have a killer combo for under $1000.

I don't see a lot of Rakes for sale, but you can find them on ebay, on this forum in the emporium (rarely, but they pop up), and on BaM forum.

I would highly recommend this amp to anyone and everyone.

For even less, buy a Peavey Classic 50 4x10, or a head and cab setup. Should cost well under $700 for either of these two setups. You may get out for under $500 if you look hard enough and get lucky. The 4x10 combo should cost you about $450.

Both the Peavey and the Rivera are very pedal friendly, as well.

Bob

20. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I agree with much of the above, have the PV C30 and Roland cube 60 and love them both. Another choice to consider would be a used Koch Twintone.

jon