Great cleans....not finding it on my Axe II

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by KelsterVonShredster, Feb 27, 2015.

1. KelsterVonShredster

KelsterVonShredster Supporting Member

Ok, so I had the Kemper for quite a few months and loved it, I only got rid of it for financial reasons. Now I recently acquired the Axe FX II and love the medium to high gain amp tones I'm getting, the Friedman/Plexi tones are out of this world, I love the effects, love the design, LOVE the software interface but I must say having owned both I find the Kemper smokes the Axe in the clean amp department; particularly the clean, warm Fender sparkle sound that I love so much. Now, I'm still an Axe nube, so please do not send me anthrax in the mail or send me death threats before you understand my predicament. A huge shout out to Fractal: the "out of box" tones are stellar btw, I have not tweaked anything and love the patches; but the clean patches are leaving me wanting much, much more. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I've been so busy I have not had time to get onto the Fractal forum to say the same thing. This is not intended to spark a Fractal vs Kemper debate but I know it will anyways so whatever......cheers. I love both technologies!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Send me your preset via email and note what sort of guitar you use and what style of clean you are trying to do.

3. leeislee

leeislee Member

You said it yourself mate, You've not tweaked anything...get in there and start finding your tone! :)

4. randombastage

randombastage Member

You should probably mention what you are listening through when you play so they can steer you towards the right changes...

5. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

Are you using V18 beta firmware? If not, you may want to try that.

6. KelsterVonShredster

Sorry guys, my bad. My firmware started with 17 and quickly led to 18 (which I'm very happy with) and a super fresh pair of Yamah HS8's that I also am extremely happy with. It's the not the speakers that's for sure. Headphones are Sennheiser HD280 Pro's that I've been using for years and am very happy with. Thanks so much! This is my second kick at the can with the Axe, I really want it to work! I also can't seem to edit the Time parameter in the Delay block....again, maybe I'm just a nube idiot but no matter what I do, I can't seem to edit the parameters. Cheers

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  7. paulmapp8306

paulmapp8306 Member

Strange - on another thread somewhere, it was noted that it was the cleans on the Kemper v the AFX that were lacking. Just shows everyone hears things differently and everyone has their own idea of whats good.

Im sure you'll find it in the box somewhere - take Scott up on his offer, you wont get better.

8. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

If you can't edit the delay time parameter that means the Tempo parameter is active. Set it to "None" and then you can enter the time manually.

9. Baminated

Baminated Member

Not an Axe guy (yet?)
    YA I thought my gsp1101 had weak cleans till I started putting in nearly 8hrs a day for a week.
    Keep the EQ blocks flat, and first find that right cab sim that works for you on any clean amp of choice. The blonde bassman is a good start

10. Mrmeatball

Mrmeatball Member

Check your pick ups, I had similar problems in the past and I found dialling back the volume pot on my guitar worked wonders on my clean tones, I didn't fancy messing about with the volume all the time so I lowered the pickup height a bit and it did the trick, worth a quick try in any case

11. karmakarmakarma

karmakarmakarma Member

Try this;
    Amp = Doubleverb (Twin) model
    Cab = Factory 123 (Doubleverb Mix)

In the amp block;
    Input Drive = 2
    Input Gain = .75
    Master Volume = 10
    Adjust Output Level to set overall volume
    EQ to taste

Works perfectly for me with medium gain humbuckers. Pull down Input Gain and raise Output Level if you need more clean headroom.

12. KelsterVonShredster

Thanks a lot guys, great tips! Much appreciated.

13. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

When I'm dialing in clean tones, the most important control for me is the Input Trim. I usually end up between .6 and .75 for the clean tones that I like the best. This will greatly depend on the pickups in your own guitar, so experiment!

14. aculturemind

aculturemind Member

......people are 'educated' by pop culture, so it ain't no ****in wonder........

15. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

at the risk of stating the obvious, are your strings new?

16. Cosmik de Bris

Cosmik de Bris Member

Mr VonShredster, what clean amp in the real world would you like to emulate?