great cleans, verb, light weight/low watts - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluesmostly, Aug 16, 2005.

1. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

I am interested in acquiring an amp with a great clean sound, thick and rich, and I would like reverb. preferably a head, maybe a 1/12. I don't want a big heavy head or 2/12.

What about the lower watt Bruno Tipper? Sure love the sound of the Cow on Tag's clips. But I know they are expensive and hard to come by...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

What about a BF Deluxe Reverb? I have some Brunos and they are great but the BF will only appreciate.

3. fatback

fatback Member

I love my Blackface Deluxe and Princeton Reverbs. They sound great and won't lose any value. They aren't high headroom clean-machines, though I love the way they break up over 5.

If you want big sparkling cleans with high headroom in a small light-weight package, then you should check out the Fargen, Soloway amp. I was very impressed by it at the Marin guitar show.

4. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Check this out! It looks like it did not sell. Im sure you could order a new one from Tony anyway.

"This custom design sneaks the power and tone of the “Cowtipper 22” Amp into Tony's compact “Tweedy Pie” Cab the resulting design provides a small, light unassuming package that absolutely amazes the audience and band members with its big amp sound. 1) It is in the smaller Tweedy Pie 18 Cabinet
    2) Has only a one knob reverb due to space limitation
    3) Does not have an impedance selector switch also due to space limitations

I acquired this amp new about 3 years ago from Tony and Gene after deciding my Bruno Underground 30 was to big and heavy for most of my gigs, which almost always seem to be at small stage second floor venues. Alas my gig days are over so time to reduce my arsenal of toys.

The amp is in excellent condition there are a few scuffs in the tolex and there is an odd discoloration in the grill cloth, which is only visible under special lighting (you can see it in the photo). Excepting these cosmetics the amp is mint.

The amp weighs in at about 35 lbs and dimensions approx 17” H X 20”W X 8” D

You rarely see Bruno amps in the secondary market. These amps are all hand built and highly sought after. The waiting list for a new amp can run into months."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. lv

lv Supporting Member

Bruno or Tone King.

6. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

Thanks guys, Tag, who does this Tweedy Pie belong to? How can I get more info?

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Gibson GA-15RV

8. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

It was a completed item on ebay. 2 bids but it did not reach reserve. Search under musical instruments on ebay for "Bruno". Then in the left column click on "show completed listings". I think it just ended in the last few days. You may be able to shoot the guy an email from there. he probably still has it!

9. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

Heritage Victory - 20 watt, 1X12, 6v6 - 40ish pounds - works for me!

10. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

11. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Glad you like it Jon. I thought Ben did a great job and it certainly fits the description. Great cleans and light weight was exactly what it was designed for (although I don't believe you can do that with low watts). The amp that Ben built for us is 50 watts with an enormous amount of clean head room. It's also just 37 lbs and about the size of a Princeton. Ben can do all sorts of configurations, but the basic model is a single 10 inch Eminence Delta Light with a neodymium speaker. That's the key to the whole thing. It's very light and rated for 150 watts so it stays clean almost the entire way up. Here's a short clip that I did with it when it first arrived.

http://www.jimsoloway.com/TascamDemos/Fargen5.mp3

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i'll second the Carr Rambler, but also dont forget the Fargen Blackbird. IMHO, one of the BEST takes on the fendery sound i've heard in a looooooooooooong time. actually in talks to have a "Twin Reverb" like version built for me.

btw, check out my post in the review lounge about the BB.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45164

13. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Agreed on the Blackbird. It's the basis for the amp Ben built for us. I had a chance to play one a lot at the Marin show and I was really impressed. It didn't have quite as much headroom as our signature model amp, but it was definitely warmer.

14. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

All of these are good suggestions. My personal choice is a Princeton Reverb, though it isn't loud enough for some situations. Definitely look at the Carr Rambler - they seem to be a good buy on the used market. I've never heard a Bruno in person, but if you like they way they sound on clips, then it is worth investigating.

Bryan