Great compressor unit on the market!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rooster, Jun 21, 2008.

1. rooster

rooster Member

For any of you that were looking for a good compressor unit for your guitar rig, I just finished off the "5-knob compressor" kit from the "build your own clone" people. This unit is not, strictly speaking, a clone of anything. The basis for the unit is the old Ross/Dynacomp circuit that is time-tested as one of the greats, but it has a few different bells and whistles that take it completely out of that league. The unit has a "blend" knob, which lets you mix the "wet" and "dry" signals, a big bonus on a compressor, as it lets you dial in your straight guitar sound. You still get the attack and punch of the guitar, but as the note fades out, the compressed signal takes over and fills in seamlessly. There is also a "tone" knob which affects the compressed signal, also very useful, and a "level" knob which lets you dial in the level of the compressed signal.

I've been told the "blend" control is somewhat remeniscent of the Barber Tone Press, I can't say that for sure, not having played one, but this feature alone is the most useful thing I've ever seen on a stompbox compressor.

The kit runs about $100 shipped in the US, and takes a couple hours to put together. You want to be very careful while assembling it, but you can't find anything for that price that will enhance your sound like this thing.

Anyway, just thought y'all might be interested. I don't work with them or anything, I just like to pass along recommendations that I deem worth the $$$. Actually, if this thing ran $200 or more, it would still be well worth it.

rooster.

2. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I agree. the byoc stuff blows away most of the stuff on the market. I will be ordering that comp kit soon.

the overdrive killed a keeley ts-9 I owned head to head. Much more transparent and natural sounding. The large beaver and tremolo sound great as well.

3. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

sounds like a cop of Dave Barber's Tone Press,especially the blend control...

4. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I don't know what the tone press is based off but like the keeley comp the byoc comp is based off the Ross. The blend knob is just a new addition to the circuit he's been selling for years.

5. Frenster

Frenster Put your Rock Face on!

I built one...didn't totally bond with it, but like it a lot. Still have my Maxon CP-101 on my board. Still on a compressor hunt.