Great deal on a 335?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rev2S, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

Take a left on Hudgens Rd, then a right on....
    Hi. I just found out that I can get a new Gibby 335 Dot Reissue for $1415 through a deal that the buyer never picked up his guitar and they are trying to get rid of it (after 20% mark down). What is the cheapest that new 335s go for? The person from the store said the price was $2999 new...not sure if that's list or what. Any potential issues with 335 that I should be aware of? I was thinking about a Heritage 535 orginally.

Thanks!

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

That's a good price if it's not one of the satin finished ones or an ES-333. For $1400, if you intend to keep it, I'd still go with the Heritage though.

3. hbentley

hbentley Member

+1 if it's not a satin, that's a good deal.

4. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

If it's the gloss....BUY IT NOW!

Even if you don't like you can turn it on eBay and make 6 to 7 hundred on it in a heartbeat.

I bought mine (new) in February 2007 for $1,700.00 and I thought that was a steal. They were selling everywhere for $2,400.00 to $2,800.00. Mine shipped straight from Memphis to my door and never saw the dealer.

GO FOR IT!!

5. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

An afterthought...if you don't want it, and it's a gloss....PM me the dealers info...and I'll buy it.

6. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

Thanks for your replies so far guys. I called and the person I spoke to about it is not sure if it's gloss or satin. How can you tell? She said there is nothing on the tag that says what it is. She asked someone else and they thought it was a nitro gloss. The guitar is Ebony and a lefty...

7. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

That leaves me out...lefty...but you still stand to turn a nice profit if it's a gloss.

8. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

It looks like it's a gloss finish. It has no ES-335 on the truss rod cover. I just read only the satin finish has the 335 stamped on the truss rod cover. It doesn't come with a case so that sucks. I will look at it anyways.

9. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

Gloss has neck binding, satin does not.

10. Dotneck

Dotneck Member

I use the visual technique to tell the difference....look at the guitar....if its shiny its a gloss finish. If its dull its a satin.

:worried

11. eddie101

eddie101 Silver Supporting Member

It is easy for you to say as somethings are not so obvious to certain peeps. :D

12. Dotneck

Dotneck Member

Hey...I'm just tryin' to provide some information....and a technique for analysis. Any my techniques works whether or not the guitar has binding.

13. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Until recently, ebony was several hundred dollars cheaper than other colors. Still seems like a good deal for a gloss. Like I said before though, the Heritage 535 is still a nicer guitar.

14. Bob V

Bob V Member

If it's a new guitar that was ordered by someone who didn't "pick it up," then how did it get separated from it's factory case? Or is it that they're just trying to price it without the case? And they can't confirm for you what model it is and don't know the product line enough to know that the satin models are cheaper? Authorized dealer who's giving you a valid warranty? I'm happy for you but I'd be leery.

15. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

Thanks for all your help guys. I am passing on this guitar at the moment. This was through a Guitar Center. I though that the case comes with the guitar...they priced the case $149 dollars more. I know by going through Zzounds or Musiciansfriend, it comes with a case. As for the gloss vs satin, they weren't sure. I asked if it had the es-335 stamp on the truss rod cover and they said no...so it's gloss (from what I read). I checked on Ebay and it seems that Ebony goes for less than others.

I was going to buy the guitar to flip it to make a little money but it's probably not worth it.