Great deal on a unique Jimi-esque Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by traviswalk, May 20, 2008.

1. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Quick heads up to folks, Musicians Friend must be trying to move the remainder of these - MIM Strat with reverse Jimi-esque headstock. I just bought one from them for $499 after getting a 'special sale' flyer when I bought a new pedal from them (MXR Carbon Copy...awesome pedal!). You have to call them and reference promotion number 805T that is on the back of the flyer. Anyway, just thought I would share as $499 is not a bad price. After playing it last night the neck finish/frets are not Made in America quality but that's to be expected, however the paint, pickups, neck shape are great. I'm going to Frankenstein this with some Fralins, Callaham bridge/block, etc. I though this was a good base to work with that includes a unique neck and can be made into a nice workhorse guitar.

[​IMG]

2. traviswalk

Sorry, mean to add to search for "Reverse Strat" on MF's website to bring up details - and the discount does not come through online, just by phone. And I have no affiliation with MF, just wanted to highlight a relatively good deal. Hope I don't get in trouble for sharing the coupon code...oh well.

3. VH5150

VH5150 Member

Any trades?.....................Jk congrats!

4. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

A number of the smaller stores may be able to sell at this price as well, just ask them!

5. Zemaitisguitar

Zemaitisguitar Silver Supporting Member

just as a fyi...musicians friend had these as a crazy deal of the day a couple of months ago for $400. It seems like alot of people bought them and you can find them on ebay for aroun $440 shipped.

6. traviswalk

Doh, hate to read they were $400! Even at $499 though I feel pretty good about bang/buck. Ok, so I'm talking myself into it...

7. Zemaitisguitar

Zemaitisguitar Silver Supporting Member

No...totally agree. Even at $500 they are really sweet!!!!!

8. Kalalau Hiker

Kalalau Hiker Supporting Member

The Outskirts of Infinity ...aka Philly burbs.
    what's the neck like
    radius?
    fat-thin /wide-narrow

I have a 1964 strat that is perfect for me ... I like narrower/thinner as I don't have huge hands so need a smaller feeling neck, width/thickness wise, to get the Jimi feeling .

thanks

Ps - switched on your myspace and am listening as I write this - NICE! (I'm a Jimi ho) :AOK

9. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

nice, always wished that it came with a reversed tremolo, just not right not have the tremolo reversed IMO.

Anyway it is a very cool look, enjoy.

10. traviswalk

The neck is not bad, similar to a Clapton V neck but a little thinner. It just didn't have the high quality finished feel of an American/Custom Shop neck with smoother rolled edges and the frets could be just a bit cleaner. The radius I don't know but seems flat relative to my other Strats.

Reverse tremolo would be nice, but figured this was a cost cutting model and they just used what was on the shelf! I will post clips/review once I Frankenstein into a meaner guitar.