Great EQ Pedal... is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Webfoot, May 12, 2008.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Looking for a great Eq pedal.. any ideas?

2. cheen2006

cheen2006 Member

Barber makes a simple 4 knob EQ pedal, which is great, but I'm not too familiar with any more versatile EQs, other than boss and mxr. I'm very interested in other recommendations, especially for 7+ band EQs.

Cheen

3. serviviente7

serviviente7 Supporting Member

i have an 80's ibanez pq 9 (parametric eq) that is super....very analog. If you can find one i will highly recommended.

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Sniper modded GE-7

5. thewex

thewex Member

boss GE-7 with the sniper mod. get it, you'll be happy you did

6. Steve Foley

Steve Foley Member

Yep - that's where I'm at, as well, except I went the Monte Allums route - I seem to recall they're similar mods. Great for pushing the tone a little, dropping the mids out, or just a simple boost. Cheap, too....

El Steve-0

7. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have two of these, excellent!

8. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

I don't use an EQ pedal currently, but I know that people rave about the BarbEQ from Barber. I would check out the HC reviews on that if I were in the market for one.

9. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Hell ya there is, A vintage boss GE-10, hard to find. I have 3 of them, no I am not selling. Next in line would be a Maxon 6 band, followed by a vintage MXR 6 band or 10 band followed by a boss ge-7.

Done.

10. Numb

Numb Member

I Own it, I use it, I love it.

But: this is a rather subtle pedal, compared to graphic eq:s out there. It's the parametric treble - mid - bass -knobs in a box. For me, it gives the extra something no other pedal has been able to. But, as it is a pedal that divides, one should test before buying.

Stock Boss GE-7 has it's own sound. I didn't like it, many are do, or don't mind.

11. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

I used to own a Sniper Mod GE7, great pedal.

Now I own a Carl Martin Parametric EQ, also a great pedal. A little harder to use (steeper learning curve), but great, nonetheless.

12. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

BarbEQ is more like something you would find on an amp. If you're going for extreme EQing, I wouldn't go there. If you want classic amp sounds and sweetening of what you've already got, then it's perfect. I love mine, but I also am not trying to "fix" anything in my base tone...

13. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

Morning Dews are great EQ's with fantastic buffers, but you'd have to find a used one as they aren't made any more.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  14. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Graphic EQ = Danelectro Fish and Chips. This thing is seriously awesome, 1/3 the price of the others, and doesn't need to be modded (quiet as is)!

Sweet musical EQ = Barber Barb EQ. Great for making your amp "sweeter" or for tuning an individual pedal (wicked on dirt pedals). I have a Custom Shop Barb EQ in the emporium. It has an insert jack so you can EQ a specific pedal but still only need to stomp on one pedal to turn the effect on. It also acts as a true bypass looper because the insert pedal is out of your signal path if you are not using it.

TG

TG

15. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

MXR 10-band EQ in the loop.

16. HandOfTheHost

HandOfTheHost Member

+1, I have one as well and it's a very precise tone shaper. I use mine to quell some of the mid/hi spike in my signal and then a compressor after it to bring the level back up. Works great.:dude

17. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

i used to tout the boss ge 7...I still like it but I am an mxr 10 band convert...

eventually Id like to get to where I have the mxr 10 band pre-distortion and a barber eq post distortion