Texas Hippie Coalition
Testament: dark roots of earth
Ty Tabor: Alien Beans
The Winery Dogs
Nita Strauss controlled chaos
Jason Newsted
Motörhead: Motorizer
Lamb of God VII Strum and Drang

If you like grunge and alternative, My Love is Cool by Wolf Alice is amazing. All their albums are actually great, but you might as well start at the beginning. Guitarists Ellie Rowsell and Joff Oddie really do a great job with 1990s-influenced alt-rock guitar riffage and atmospherics, but making it their own. They also keep things stylistically varied, so it's not like "okay we're gonna sit here and listen to a band try to emulate Nirvana for 11 songs" or whatever.
Wolf Alice is SO DAMN GOOD!

This song is the real deal. Seven and a half minutes of sonic bombast.

Wolf Alice is SO DAMN GOOD!

This song is the real deal. Seven and a half minutes of sonic bombast.

Yeah, Visions of a Life is the best! My favorite song by them from the moment I heard it. As demonstrated above, they crush it live and the studio version is a live-in-studio take with (I think) minimal-to-no overdubs.

Last edited:
Mastodon - just about anything
Derek Trucks- anything
Guthrie Govan - just about anything, I especially like "Erotic Cakes"
Pete Thorn's albums
Big Wreck - albatross, ghosts
Ariel Posen - anything
Waking Vision - into high selva
Frogwings - Croakin' at Toads

There's a huge number, unfortunately. Almost limitless number. Tons of great stuff in here.

My picks...tho not entirely rock, guitar-centric...

1655173426377.png

1655173490584.png

1655173340273.png

1655173232276.png

1655173272321.png

Late to the party but seems like there's a little life in it yet and might have something to add. I love this thread is 11 pages.

Screaming Females - I'll Make You Sorry: Marissa Paternoster rocks, rules, and owns. Plus she's a G&L player like me. :D

The Joy Formidable - Austere: Saw 'em live headlining, awesome seeing this lil buck o five gal deliver one of the crushingest walls of guitar I've ever heard. Love this energy plus you get a look at her pedalboard, the official version represents the song better.

Kaki King - Falling Day: So much I love about this song, so inventive and not easy to make an odd meter groove rock this hard.

Still here? Your bonus cut: Covet - falkor, with the brilliant Yvette Young.

What can I say, I'm down with the ladies. :D

Last edited:
Late to the party but seems like there's a little life in it yet and might have something to add. I love this thread is 11 pages.

Screaming Females - I'll Make You Sorry: Marissa Paternoster rocks, rules, and owns. Plus she's a G&L player like me. :D

The Joy Formidable - Austere: Saw 'em live headlining, awesome seeing this lil buck o five gal deliver one of the crushingest walls of guitar I've ever heard. Love this energy plus you get a look at her pedalboard, the official version represents the song better.

Kaki King - Falling Day: So much I love about this song, so inventive and not easy to make an odd meter groove rock this hard.

Still here? Your bonus cut: Covet - falkor, with the brilliant Yvette Young.

What can I say, I'm down with the ladies. :D

I find probably 70% of the new music I buy is made by women these days, although a lot of it isn't really rock music, women seem particularly dominant in electronica and related genres. I have theories as to why but it's probably one for another thread - it's great though, the boys had a good run and I'm quite happy to take a back seat for a bit!

I find probably 70% of the new music I buy is made by women these days, although a lot of it isn't really rock music, women seem particularly dominant in electronica and related genres. I have theories as to why but it's probably one for another thread - it's great though, the boys had a good run and I'm quite happy to take a back seat for a bit!
Yah, just put a bunch of my fav post 2k alt guitar bands in the thread search and those were the ones needing some recognition. I find every one of em straight up inspiring. I'd love to have Marissa's fire and casual precision, Ritzy's pedal game, Kaki's outside the box-ness and Yvette's elegance and virtuosity. Get with the ladies guys! :D

Trending Topics

Top Bottom