"Great guitar, sad to see it go"..

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Turi, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Turi

Turi Member

.."open to trades!"

What? Wat? Wut?

Can't be too sad to see it go then, can you?

What's up with this stuff? Why not just say you're not bonding with it?

Why the deception?

This crap is rife here in Aus. Is it in the US?

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

"thinning the herd" is another favorite ad euphemism for "I flip guitars"

3. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

"Not bonding." Now there's another BS phrase...

4. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

I hate that too. All my listings whether a guitar, pedal, or amp doesn't touch on the reason I'm selling. Just an accurate product description and fair price is all the buyer needs to know.

5. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

I only buy a guitar if I know it'll make the seller sad.

6. bikeracr

bikeracr Supporting Member

Agreed! Feel, taste, & tone are all entirely subjective. I really don't get it why someone would part with a "great" guitar unless money really is an issue.

7. Unchained81

Unchained81 Member

Exactly. Just give an accurate, honest description of the item and leave it at that. One man's junk is another man's treasure so it doesn't matter if you don't like what you're selling, the buyer does.

8. Turi

Turi Member

Nah I think this ones alright.
    You could just day you don't like it. I suppose [emoji14]
    Agreed!
    I like this. I might start doing this myself.

9. KSL

KSL Supporting Member

I part with good guitars because I dont play them or I am really not bonding with one.

I've let go of many high end guitars that played and sounded awesome: because the tone, feel or look didn't fit me at the moment.

Case in point, I let go a rare Tom Anderson Cobra that I miss dearly now.
    I let go of a suhr that I missed as well.

My style and needs evolve all the time and I don't like the idea of keeping guitars in storage, unplayed.

10. cardinal

cardinal Member

In general, that's probably a BS line but I can see where it could be honest. If you ended up with a several Strats and genuinely like them all, you might still want to sell one to free up cash for something else and would take a trade for that something else just as well.

The seller BS that always makes me laugh are the guys selling to pay for emergency medical bills, but then they list trades they'll take. I even remember one ad like this where the guy not only would take trades, but would add cash on his end for certain things. But he definitely was only selling to pay for emergency medical bills!

11. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Why so suspicious?
    I just sold off a really cool old SG that I'd had for a long time. I wanted to get myself a really nice semi so something had to go.
    I get what you are saying but there are plenty of occasions where it's true.

12. Turi

Turi Member

But if you were really sad to see it go.. You wouldn't let it go.

Its ******** lol.

I get it, people sell great guitars.

But they aren't truly sad to see them go or they wouldn't sell, doesn't matter how good it is.

13. InkStained

InkStained Member

I don't peruse the ads judging would-be sellers on verbiage, syntax and intentions.

Perhaps I should, though. It sounds entertaining.

14. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Absolutely not. I was sad to see my old SG go. I have a great semi now that is much more practical for what I do. If I had a spare $3K in the bank I would've kept it.

15. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

I buy/sell/trade all sorts of things on Craigslist. I've sold or traded things that I knew damn well were good instruments/studio gear etc. And yes, I've used some of those lines myself many times. I don't see the issue with it. I'm not bullshitting anyone or trying to "get one over" on them. I want them to know that I firmly believe what I have is great and that they should try it out for themselves and make their own judgment on it.

I write my ads honestly, but with a bit of "pizzazz", adding links to reviews, etc (for those folks who may not be as familiar with what I'm selling or trading). All in all, I've had much MUCH better luck with selling/trading than other people I know.

YMMV.

16. KSL

KSL Supporting Member

There's been prior thread about this on tgp. Furthermore, the way how op started the thread doesn't invite discussion but rather ridicule.

This thread is a fail.

17. LanEvo

LanEvo Member

I do: try living in a Manhattan apartment with a wife and kid.

There's physically no room for more than a guitar or two, yet you're surrounded by some of the best vintage guitar shops around. You can't resist buying a great guitar, then you bring it home and have to make the Sophie's choice of which one stays and which one goes.

In the real world, you've got to do it sometimes. Either for the money or the space. I don't see why this is so surprising to you.

18. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

Many times it's a preemptive response to "Why are you selling it?"

19. archey

archey Member

Every guitar I've sold I wept bitterly over as I wrote the ad.

20. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

absolutely..... Other side can be be having plenty of room but you don't want to start filling the house with guitars and gear. I have one spot I keep stuff..if there's no more room I have to much. I also find I play more and better if I have to stretch a little with the gear at hand vs. reaching for something different. I budget my gear purchases even though I don't necessarily need too. I just need to keep it real for me. Everyone has different priorities.