Great guitars that sit in your closet.....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Anthony Gring, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

Any of you struggle with justifiyng keeping them other than as an investment / collection ?

I play strats and teles. They suit the music I play ( blues , oldies, classic rock, some country, P & W )

My thinking is that I need to have a great backup of each guitar. So, I have two back up strats and 1 backup tele.

My issue is, I'm incredibly comfy with my # 1 strat ( CS '56 relic, maple 10/56 boatneck ) and my # 1 tele ( Crook paisley, med C maple neck ).

I play the ones in the closet occaisionally at home but never gig them.
    I tell myself these would be somebody's # 1 guitar. Hence, a little guilt and angst over deciding to sell or not.

I guess the real issue is that I need to have backup guitars that are absolutely comfy to me as my # 1's. My current back ups are about 80% there due to close but not close enough neck profiles and thickness.

The back ups I have were all purchased here at TGP.

So, yes I did not get to play/feel first. You know how it goes- " I'll just flip them if they're not for me" Well, in the closet they sit, unflipped.

OK, got that off of my chest. Anyone else share my situation?

Thanks.....

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. G&Ljunkie

G&Ljunkie Member

I've got two:

A 1965 Gibson Hummingbird acoustic
    A 1967 Gibson ES 335

They come out of their cases about once every 5 years. Both given to me by family members that hung up the music career.
    Don't have much of a use for either one, but they won't be sold anytime soon:)

3. bluemood

bluemood Member

I have a 1997 Jimi Hendrix Voodoo strat sunburst with kinman woodstock plus pickup that sits in it case in the closet...
    A shame because it a real nice guitar but I'm not a strat player.

4. Peppy

Peppy Member

50th Anniversary 1960 Les Paul (Ver. 2), Anderson Classic, Santa Cruz H and 1930 Martin.

5. Schroedinger

Schroedinger Member

A high-end classical. A resonator for slide. A Strat. I just sold them all in the last month... sigh of relief. Better to have cash in my pocket then a closet full of guitars I don't play.

6. schwa

schwa Member

I really wrestle with this myself. I have a couple favorites, but several (nice ones) that don't get much play these days. I also have an amp or two that I probably wouldn't miss too much.

On one hand I don't want to keep stuff that "I may wish I had someday". It's a lot of money to have tied up, and frankly, the space that they take up takes away from my life as opposed to making it richer.

On the other hand, my playing style and inclination changes over the years. My favorite electric these days is a P90 goldtop that was a case queen for 10 years before I took to it. Every time I think about selling one of my guitars, I think that someday I may regret letting it go. I also have been avoiding selling valuable guitars in this economy. I think that I will get a better return when better days come along.

I find I'm less sentimental about pedals than guitars. I've built up a bit of a collection, but have settled into a subset that works for me right now. I am selling the extras off and usually feel good when one goes out the door.

7. MichaelSaulnier

MichaelSaulnier Member

Since you say you don't take your "backups" to gigs... they aren't really serving that function much unless you can't use one of the gigging guitars due to some problem that requires service... that's pretty unlikely with the type of guitars you have...

So there they sit. Nice guitars... in their cases.

Like puppies waiting at the pound for adoption.
    If only they had someone who would love and play with them.

When I realized a while back that I had guitars that never "gigged"... my answer was clear.

Set them free... well, for a price. :D

Sell those puppies, and if you must, buy something that you will add to the gig rotation.

M

8. Summa

Summa Silver Supporting Member

Recently I dug out a CS Strat out of my storage room. It was one I had quickly picked up as a back up to my main #1 Strat. Never used it so I chucked into storage. I had of late offered it for sale to a couple people. Now that I've plugged it in and played it, really played it, Sweet Jesus what a guitar it is! What a dumb-ass I was for even offering it for sale!!! Thank you Lord that no one wanted it. I never really liked the neck, which is vintage spec 7.25 radius (I think) narrow frets, also I believe now the fretboard may be Braz. I threw on it a EJ neck and I'm in heaven! The pickups are vintage voiced with a straight up, non-reversed middle. The back of the pickguard shield is marked with John English's initials. Impeccable wiring! I love the in between tones so much I may add in a 5 pos switch. Left alone this guitar is what a brand new 59-60-61 Strat would have been. Oh! And it's super resonate!! Sustain out the wahzoo!

My point is this: be sure of what you have before you offer any up for sale. You may have a diamond in hiding that you were unaware of.

9. Luke V

Luke V Member

'71 Strat
    '82 335
    '05 335
    '90's r7 goldtop
    '68 jazz bass
    VooDoo Strat, from the first year they came out
    a lot more but these are the better ones

Oh yeah, lots of amps too just sitting there and let's not even talk about the recording gear. I'm waiting for the market to turn around before I off anything.

10. Dashface

Dashface Member

I have a bunch of great guitars that sit in the closet unused... I think the biggest on this list (and the ones I sometimes even forget I have) are:

'89 Clapton strat (in 7-up green, too!)
    '69 Bill Lewis
    and my '93 Howard Roberts Fusion III

11. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

12. WrapAround

WrapAround Member

'96 Cunetto Strat Oly Wht. A great guitar but I don't like playing Strats much unless I really have to.

13. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Well Tony....thankfully you decided to sell one of your "back-ups"....as that Red CS Strat you sold me is one of my favorites! I just put some Lollar Blondes in it....as it sounds amazing.

14. Brazen

Brazen Member

I have three guitars. I play the red one 80% of the time but can't part with the other two.

[​IMG]

I went ahead and changed the Bolt to SSS. I feel better about it.

[​IMG]

15. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

My acoustic doesn't get played nearly as much as it should but the only guitar that just sits in my closet is my recently retired RG550 - it was my one and only for 20 years and is kinda beat but I love it dearly and I'll never part with it because it just feels like home.

16. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

Way too many... See my signature for scores of Strats with stickers still on 'em. Feel slightly guilty, but not really!

17. StJimmy

StJimmy Member

I bought this Rick in 1999 and couldn't bond with it, but it was so pretty, I stuck it in the closet instead of selling it. Brought it out maybe 3 times in the past 12 years, but just struggled terribly with the fretboard. Brought it out a couple of weeks ago, spent a day with it, and now I love it and can play the snot out of it. I guess that sometimes, you just grow into some things. Go figure.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  18. pbmw

pbmw Member

I have feelings sometimes that I ought to sell a couple of guitars I don't really play very often.
    I have a 66 Oly White Strat. It's all original.
    It's the first really good electric I ever owned. But the thing is, I'm pretty much over Strats.
    This guitar is killer. I got to play it through a 65 Vibrolux Reverb a while ago. It just put a stupid **** eating grin on my face...
    Can't sell it.
    I have a D41 I've had for years and years. It's a first year. 69. I play it at home. I just love it but don't play it often.
    Just because they don't get played often does not mean they aren't appreciated...

19. antbosca

antbosca Member

Love that 360.

My closet queen is a 1982 Gibson 335 Dot re-issue. Blonde, Shaw pups, RS Pots, plays beautifully. I don't sound good on it and don't really enjoy playing it. Sound hard to me, too much ebony and maple for my ear and fingers. I paid too much to sell it right now though. It's SO beautiful though and like StJimmy, I might learn to love it one day.

20. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

r9 in my closet. never play it/can't be bothered to sell