Great hard rock/ metal guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RSRD, Sep 28, 2005.

1. RSRD

RSRD Member

outside of the obvious Les Paul what are some of the meatiest, heaviest, thickest sounding guitars? Low end chunk, thick mids...... guitars that are bad to the bone.

2. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Jacksons come to mind. Gotta love the reverse headstock!

3. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

Kramers, Hamers, Charvels, Waynes, Jacksons, early Ibanezes, modded strats, Wasburns, ESP´s...
    They were the 80´s choice

4. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

The Ibanez prestige RG series seem to be a good choice.

I have a 3220 (Quilt version of the 3120) and it is exactly what you describe. Mahogany body with maple top, rosewood board/maple neck, Dimarzio Humbuckers (I might change these.)

It has a lower crunch than my paul due to the scale length, plays fast and is a great guitar. Also look for the USRG series of the 90's, very similar.

Not to sound like an ibanez fan boy (I only have 1) but they also make a 27" scale length guitar for deeper tunings.

5. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

I always thought the PRS Custom 24 with the HFS pickup in the bridge position was the best hard rock/metal guitar. Back in the 80's, I was playing in an instrumental trio and I went through all the usual suspects - Jackson USA Soloist Custom, Ibanez RG-550 and Jem 777FP, ESP Kamikaze, Jackson USA custom bolt-on strat, Gibson Les Paul Custom (no trem :( ). (I owned and played those, plus others.)

In 1988 or so, I ordered a Custom 24 with the body routed to allow pull ups on the whammy.

What a guitar! The crunch tones were tight and defined. The sustain was phenomenal. Action was superlative. I couldn't make it go out of tune.

I sold it a few years ago, as I play less of that type of music now. I'm not sure how it would do for some of the stuff nowadays that is radically down-tuned. I played in regular E tuning.

6. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

+1 Jacksons are great. Especially this baby... maple on mahogany body, maple neck.

[​IMG]

7. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I have never associated '80s metal' with 'low-end chunk'. Maybe it's just me. 80s metal with thick, meaty bottom end from the guitars? Maybe Metallica, but even then I'm not sure. It just wasn't the tone du jour.

PRS - Custom 22, even a 22 Standard (all mahogany) would do the trick, but a McCarty or Singlecut would do better.

Hamer - they are making a LOT of really good guitars in traditional configurations (shape/woods). No reason to think they would sound THAT much different than a Les Paul or McCarty. I played a Hamer double cutaway the other night that just CRUSHED with thick low-end goodness.

For big low-end chunk, I'd probably be checking out Gibbys - especially used Les Paul Studios ;)

A lot of modern players going for the low-end are playing Ibanez, Schecter, etc. but they're also playing through double- or triple-rectifier Mesa amps. It could also be just me, but you plug any humbucker guitar into a Mesa Triple Rec and it sounds the same - like a Mesa Triple Rec.

--chiba

8. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Solid mahagony Explorers!!!!!

9. MattB

MattB Member

Caparison - any model.