Great hi gain lead dist/od pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sinasl1, Jan 14, 2006.

1. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Hi guys, I'm looking for a great lead boost pedal, to use in front of my Divided By 13 FTR 37, to take me into upper mid-boosted singing hi gain territory (think Marshall)... Any ideas? What about the Maxon SD9? Or the OCD?

Currently I've been using clean boosts and treble boosters but I think I want a dist/od pedal sound instead...

2. drolling

drolling Member

Seems everyone's got their own idea about where overdrive ends and distortion begins, but my Lovepedal Eternity's got more gain & distortion than I'll ever need.

The clip & tone controls are very interactive/no 'dead' spots - everything from treble boost to full bore crunch, depending on how you dial it in.

And less mid-boost than many modern ODs.

3. stratofied

stratofied Member

The Eternity works great with the FTR.

4. el34power

el34power Member

Just recently i started running my Barber LTD on 18v. threw my JCM800...
    Totally impressed.:dude

5. doublea

doublea Member

I just bought a Pete Cornish P-2 that I run with my Marshalls. Kinda expensive but worth every last penny. Blues crunch to high gain heaven.

[​IMG]

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The radial tonebone hot british pedal is the best distortion pedal I've ever heard (though the newer emma reezafratzits, which I've never heard, is giving it some competition)

The HB sounds like a cranked marshall, and works best going into a clean amp. It ONLY does high gain distortion. This is it's only limitation. Within that limitation, though, there is an endless supply of tones to be had, from bluesy slash (of guns n roses fame) licks to Brian May to 80s metal (a la ozzy) to thrash to post-modern. Definitely worth a look-see.

If you're thinking of an OCD, you're better off the with HB (unless you want low-gain too). I solved my low-gain probs by buying a TC Jauernig DGTM, so there ya go

[​IMG]

As you can see, it also has a mid-boost switch, which would work great for you

7. justicetones

justicetones Member

OD's and Distortions are definately a very personal choice. Ideally you will have to try a bunch to find your favorite for high gain.

After using alot of different pedals the Bad Cat Extreme Tone is still on my board. It is tube (2-12ax7's) and has two modes (low to mid gain, and a mid to high gain.) and it is True Bypass. It is essentially inspired by the front end of A Hot Cat.

I use it with my Dr. Z maz 18jr. 2x10 and My highly modified Fender Concert 2x10.

All of this said most of the pedals suggested here rock. :dude

8. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

I needed a pedal to put some extra guts into my Reverend Kingsnake combo. I wasn't looking for ultra high gain saturation, I wanted a volume boost that was loud and punchy, and could give the sound more crunch, body and thickness without getting fizzy in the high end.

The one that does it the way I want it is the Subdecay Blackstar.

9. Josh O

Josh O Member

Keeley modded Boss MT-2

10. bullet69

bullet69 Member

11. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

Dyna Red
    Mosferatu
    My Eternity just sounds too damn sweet to run dimed on it.

12. Franklin

Franklin Member

I have an Analog Man SD9, I love it!

13. ajric

ajric Member

Mi Audio Tubezone. A great hi gain lead pedal.

14. D.G.

D.G. Member

I'm partial to either a NYC Big Muff, or a modded Barber DDSS pushed with a Tech21 Double Drive (set for mid boost only.)