Great interfaces for doing computer modeling

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by gurumonkey, May 26, 2015.

1. gurumonkey

gurumonkey Member

So, I just put my RME babyface up on reverb.com. It's awesome, and if I don't get a decent price for it, I'll probably keep it, but it does have some input limitations. The unit itself has that one instrument input and then you can only use one of the xlr inputs. I'm looking for something that will get me a few more channels. I did really like the portability of the babyface, so that's part of the equation. used it to play S-gear out a few times.

Anybody else have a good recommendation to check out?

Obsesspool likes this.
  2. Ampp

Ampp Member

Obsesspool likes this.
  3. Obsesspool

Obsesspool Member

I'd also like to hear some recommendations. I use AmpliTube 3 and have to contend with noticeable latency. I'm going to try a few things to mitigate this including doubling the ram on my laptop (PC) but I'd also like to try a new interface. I've been using the same old Presonus Firebox since 2007. What should I be looking for nowadays? What do other AmpliTube users use?

4. gurumonkey

gurumonkey Member

Ampp, I totally know! that's actually the primary reason I'm getting rid of mine. The pro version would work wonders for me because it would allow me to do 4 inputs at once and I like the I/O style better. @Obsesspool, If you're primarily looking for something to play guitar into and use as a killer soundcard, the original babyface is awesome! You'll probably see the price drop quite a bit on used ones in the next few months, cheaper than what mine is listed for. On the other hand, it's a super high quality interface so it might hold value. We'll have to see.

5. Obsesspool

Obsesspool Member

@gurumonkey I've heard great things about those but, like you, I need a few more ins & outs to run simultaneously as I use my pedalboard effects post-modeler. Essentially, I need a send and return channel with stereo return, to use like an amp's effects loop.

6. Ampp

Ampp Member

I love the RME stuff more than just about anything...really low latency and amazing stability. I've used the Babyface myself. I also like the Audient ID22.

7. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

For tracking guitar, it's important to find an interface with a proper impedance on the Hi-Z input. 1M Ohm is pretty standard. Some interfaces (like the Apollo Twin and the new black rackmount Apollos) have impedance switching hardware similar to what's found in PODs and AxeFx.

8. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

Probably over kill but I use an Apogee Duet 2 and it is killer. My round trip latency is about 7 ms. and I run S-Gear and several plug ins. Stomp boxes sound great in front of it. Only two inputs though. You might like the Apogee Quartet?

9. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

It sounds like you're looking for something with just an input and low latency, while the OP is looking for something more complex.

I am pretty sensitive to digital latency. I use a Roland Duo Capture EX that works great. Round trip latency is just a hair over 4 ms. It's got a manually adjustable Hi-Z input, and while it's not completely necessary, I use a Radial Dragster in front of it for a smoother, more amp-like feel.

10. gurumonkey

gurumonkey Member

Quartet looks cool but man, that is a pricey beast!

11. gurumonkey

gurumonkey Member

wooo hooo! Sold the original babyface for what I paid for it. Now to get the babyface pro! fantastic!

12. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Love my UAD Apollo Twin duo. Outstanding! Had it for more than a year now.

13. mix2much

mix2much Member

UA Apollo Twins are really great if you have thunderbolt capability.

14. gurumonkey

gurumonkey Member

Never heard of the apollo twin, but I admit, one of the key features to the babyface is the class compliant mode. Then I can use it with an ipad and get a much higher quality guitar in and line out.