Great " John Mayer dumble-like" pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mr. Tone, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Mr. Tone

Mr. Tone Member

Hi!

Yeah, I know, another JM thread :p But please don't kill me! :mob

I just want your advices for a great " John Mayer dumble-like" pedal :)

I play must of the time on a Fender Blues Junior, but I'm working to get my future amp, a Two-Rock :D And I have a strat :cool: "classic!"

My current pedalboard is : Wha -> Keeley Katana -> TS808RI -> Keeley Boss Bd2 -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Boss Rc3.

I think you can see I'm a big fan of Mr. Mayer :p

So what would you advice me ? :D

P.S. And my Max. budget is 200-230$

- Mr. Tone .

2. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

3. stompboy

stompboy Member

I'm afraid you need to look at buying his fingers and his ears. That is the only thing that will get you Mayers tone. Something everyone always misses is that he sounds like him regardless of what he is playing on or through. The second I realised that I started saving a lot of money!

4. JacksonCarter

JacksonCarter Member

you should be well on your way to that kinda tone... maybe get a 2nd ts type pedal to stack w your 808... mayers tone is much simpler than your making it out to be... strat-ts's-analog delay-a lil verb- fender style amp.... you can get as expensive and boutique as you want on any one of those ingredients, but what you have should get you pretty dang close...

5. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I'd like a Jimi Hendrix dumble style marshall clone pedal myself :huh

6. stompboy

stompboy Member

Same can also be said of course for Gilmour, Clapton, Page, SRV and even Vai!

7. Mr. Tone

Mr. Tone Member

Thank you jazzfromhell! gonna watch this pedal ;) I heard of some like, Zendrive, Ethos, Lovepedal Kalamazoo, 200lbs... Just don't know about them :p

8. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

Yeh its really fingers now...haven't played a blues jr, but I know he used to play a fender deville with your same pedals, it can be done

9. Lance

Lance Member

Have you ever seen him on Chappelle's Show? Strat into a Line 6 pod into a Blues Jr. Still sounded just like JM.

10. JRBain

JRBain Member

Don't buy things just because your favourite players use them. Particularly expensive things like Two Rock amps. A Two Rock amplifier won't make you sound like John Mayer, and it might not make you sound like you either; or rather, there might well be something you like more.

Specifically in this case, you could try a Zen Drive or Ecstasy, but don't overthink it. The Blues Junior is a good little amp, but it is not very similar to a Dumble. Unfortunately a lot of people go gaga for 'Dumble' and 'D-sound' (different things), so there's a lot of silly hype surrounding this.

11. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

You have all the pedals you need for JM style, virtually same pedal setup he used with Trio....SO STOP BUYING PEDALS NOW!!

First, make sure you roll mids on Blues Jr. all the way down to 7-9pm, turn treble to 10-12pm, crank up bass all the way to 5pm and add a little reverb. Always keep the Katana on with knob in and knob turned so slightly louder than amps unity volume. Oh, put Katana right after wah. For OD tones, put BD2 after Katana and set OD level up to 12-2pm, then into TS808, with OD set around 7-10pm and experiment with them used individually and stacked = both on. Remember, Katana always stays on, this pedal will help thicken your Jr's tone.

Second, practice his phrasing, it's true a lot of his tone comes from his fingers = play, don't hang around forums much.

Third, While not spending ANY more money on pedals/gear, you should be saving strictly for Two Rock Pro Studio Combo and or Head with Two Rock Standard 1x12 Cab, so around $2,300.00 total. Best purchase you'll ever make and amp will out live any other piece gear you own today.

Fourth, Once you have TR amp, No More Excuses not to sound like JM and I'm sorry to say you won't IMHO, much closer than today after much practice and TR amp, but you'll now sound like a much better you with a little JM flavor, that's much cooler IMHO.

Fifth, breakdown JM's music, via chord prgressions, leads/solo's, lyrics, etc = digest all of his music and buy either Continuum or his New Live Tab Book (play it like it is) if you don't already have them - just buy one, so ok to break into piggy bank for $20.00 while you save for TR Amp...LOL!!

bharp21 likes this.
  12. bilbal

bilbal Member

The Zendrive or Ethos will get you there.

The coolest tone I've ever found with pedals was slamming the clean channel of my Ethos with a Zendrive.

13. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

Two Rock amp with only Strat will get OP closer than any pedals. These two pedals (Zendrive and Ethos), is about 25% of cost of TR PS 22-Watt Head = bad investment IMHO.

Sorry, stop buying all gear, maybe sell pedals, etc.

14. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

alpha drive sounds exactly like a dumble i heard... A/B couldnt tell the difference

15. Fitzer

Fitzer Member

You won't get that tone with a pedal I don't think. Save for that Two-Rock and then put that 808 in front of it and you will be good to go.

16. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

step one - cranked amp, little bit of gain on the lead channel.
    step two - boost it with an OD
    step three - roll back your volume knob for cleans.
    step four - MAYERZZZ

seriously dude, i've gone down that avenue of searching for the dumble/mayer sound, and you just can't get it from a pedal. you need a real amp with real tubes cooking at real volumes. and something to boost it.

17. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

Well, you're pretty much set for the John Mayer pedal lineup. All you need is a Klone of some sort and you're set.

What do you use for a Wah, I heard he used a Teese RMC1 on all of his albums for the most part.

As for the Dumble tone, it's really hard for pedals to truly produce a spot-on feel and a tone of an amp. I heard the Zendrive comes close to a Dumble though...

The biggest factor is what guitar/amp are you using? That's the heart of everything.

18. TenneyThe2nd

TenneyThe2nd Member

A Zendrive will certainly help.

Although John only used a Zen for a short period of time. Sometimes I think his best chirps come when he is just playing with his fingers. (Although the Two-Rock/Dumble combo doesn't hurt).

19. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

T92780 is right. You got enough pedals. Save up for the amp. Though I'm guessing a blues jr should be pretty good. Two Rock amps are the best thing I've found for a good base clean tone and on board reverb.

I've got a Sterling and Classic Reverb; played the Studio Pro and must say it's got the same mojo, just pick the wattage/head room that is right for you. Stock new production tubes also work great in a TR, but now we should probably continue this coversation in the amp and cab forum!

20. Island3r

Island3r Member

Thanks Ken.