• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Great new Pat Metheny interview

aiq

Silver Supporting Member
Will check it out.

A side story, hopefully not a derailer, when I had some knee surgery the PA doing the follow up was named Pat Metheny.

After the medical talk was over of course I brought it up.

He was a fan and his daughter even arranged a meeting with the famous Pat.

aiq

Silver Supporting Member
So many great jazz players. The fact that PM has done many varied projects sets him apart a bit.

The Orchestrion was unusual.

Got to the part where Pat said he'd saved $5000 from gigging with Gary Burton.

After leaving GB's band, he spent $3000 on a van for his new band, and $1500 on an Oberheim Four Voice. Lyle Mays in his own interview said that Pat bought the synth because he wanted Lyle to play synth.

Dude must have had a lot of faith in his new band.

HellsKitchenGtr

Gold Supporting Member
Tremendous interview. Pat seems extremely open and unguarded. So so great to hear him talk. Although a little of this "he was playing the thing and I wanted the stuff" - like wut? :D :D :D And fwiw Beato's style so far hasn't been to my taste, but my opinion changed a bit based on his interest and knowledge of Pat's work. Pat is one of my top 5 inspirations, heavy to me, so this is/was great (still making my way through it, too much for one sitting).

Last edited:
Great interview indeed.. I love how he always radiates with positive energy.

I don't think anyone really hates RB, most folks just make fun of his Boomerisms(possibly cause he's nearly gen-Xer) and all the clickbait stuff. :)

trap

Gold Supporting Member
Man, just because it's Metheny I actually watched a Beato video.

It was interesting.

Short answer on how to play over the bridge on James - hit chord tones.
I’ve heard Brecker play on it and it was anything but chord tones if I remember correctly. And PM can take it out as well.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom