• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Great News about Bill Machrone (billm)

jecars

For all the fans of Billm Audio who were worried, Bill posted this on his Facebook page yesterday and thought I would share.

"I’m celebrating! Back in January, I was diagnosed with brain cancer. My latest MRI scan shows a mere shadow of what was left over after a tricky operation, thanks to radiation and chemotherapy, then a cool non-chemo drug, Avastin. After this, my fourth round of Avastin, I’ll probably be cancer-free.
The cancer is a fast-growing, deadly bugger, glioblastoma multiforme. I had the MRI that detected it on a Friday, had it removed on Monday. Post-op, I needed physical therapy (which I called Walking School) and speech therapy, because one oddity of my ambidexterity is that my speech center is distributed over both sides of my brain and the two weren’t collaborating because the tumor was located in the right parietal lobe, right where the two halves communicate. I also lost the senses of touch and temperature on most of my left side, but my motor functions were intact. That led to some funny stories. Senses, including proprioception, are improving daily.
My families (personal, church, choir, chorus, close friends) knew about it, of course, but I didn’t post about it because I knew from the outset that I was going to be OK, even though the online medical articles and statistics about survival are hardly encouraging. I told one of my friends who is steeped in statistical knowledge, that I intended to be an outlier, and she replied, “That is so like you.” But early in the game, the one phrase I didn’t want to hear was, “Oh, Bill, I’m *so* sorry,” no matter how heartfelt, no matter how well-intentioned. Think of it this way: If I said I was going to climb Everest, you might tell me I was crazy, but you wouldn’t say, “I’m so sorry!”
Besides, it’s turned out to be much more akin to climbing Kilimanjaro: exhausting, but you can walk the entire way.
I have an amazing support team, including a neurosurgeon who helped develop the microsurgical instruments that enabled the tumor removal, the oncologist who is did the experiments that set dosage, frequency, etc. of Avastin for brain tumors, and a dedicated army of other doctors, PAs, and nurses. My families are there for me, too—my immediate family, my church/choir family, my Starlite Chorale family, my family of close friends, and people with whom I’ve commiserated. Some of them want to discuss the healing technology, others inquire after my mental and spiritual health. Still others pray fervently for me. I answer their prayers with my own, one of deepest, humbling gratitude."

Great News! Now hurry up and ship my transformer!:bow

Last edited:

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
Wow. Didn't even know.
Well, jeez, glad there was good news then.
Glad you're back Bill.

IM4Tone

So glad to hear the good news!
Best to you Billm....I know you sometimes visit this site.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I'm glad he's doing better, and I have no dog in this fight, but I don't understand why someone who's having to relearn talking and walking doesn't close down his website during the time he can't fulfill orders? Why continue accepting cash when you have no idea when you'll be able to be back at work?

StratDB

I'm sure he had bigger things on his mind (no pun intended). As far as I'm concerned, he can just keep my money. I'm glad to hear he's ok.

corn husk bag

Awesome attitude of kindness, the situation at one point looked bleak for him. I am sure when he gets to the "up and running" point he will get things back in order. Hope he recovers well!

Steve

elicxirmixer

Good to hear. Bill is a great guy and he did some amazing work on my Fender BJ. Glad to know he's on his way back to good health.

Bill S.

Excellent news! Thank you for posting this.

Bill did all the mods for my BJ, fixed the rattle in my PRRI and added the upgrade transformer plus a standby switch, and also worked on my strat. A fine man.

My prayers and best wishes for Billm. Glad he's coming back.

DaveKS

Great news. Some have been wondering why their orders haven't shipped, now we know why. Unless you personally been around someone who's gone through these treatments (I have) you have no idea what it puts them through.

All my best to Bill. Fantastic news.

Davo17

Way to go Bill! Hurry up and finish recovery we will be right there waiting for you when you do.

brotherned

I'm so sorry to hear about the cancer. I had shipped my chassis to them in Sept. and had received no communication. I was worried and wondering if something had happened. I'm glad to wait or have my chassis picked up via UPS. If someone from BillM (Andrew) can contact me I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Billm

Thanks to all my good friends (and yet-to-be friends) on TGP for your prayers and good wishes. You can never have too many people cheering for you or praying for you! Your positive energy lifts my spirits.

FYI, I've temporarily closed the new-orders page on billmaudio.com, otherwise I'll never catch up with the backlog. I've hired a new assistant and he's learning the ropes. I'm aiming to be caught up sometime in January, but we also have a number of customer-induced repairs here, and I want to get them done too, before I accept new orders.

If you need a transformer right away, David Allen (www.allenamps.com) can supply it. I hesitate to recommend the Fromel version of my mods because he copied an early version of my design and has gone on to "develop" (borrow from other modders) kits for other amps.

Thanks again for your good wishes and support. I'll try to drop in here when I can, but my main responsibility is getting all those backlogged orders out.

corn husk bag

:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana It is great to hear you are well enough to move forward! Just do not over do it, make sure you have healed. Congrats!

Steve

Trending Topics