Great pedals for a JTM45?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Barnaby, Hardly, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Barnaby, Hardly

Barnaby, Hardly Member

In anticipation of shortly picking a up a new CeriaTone-based JTM45 clone...

I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on their own experiences of using pedals with KT66 based JTM45s?

I'm not after anything in particular, I just want to hear of pedals that people used with this amp and found a perfect marriage... Or pedals people were blown away by.

Nels Cline rates the Crowther Hot Cake highly:

"Little did I realize that the Marshall JTM 45 I would use with Wilco would fall in LOVE with the Hot Cake! Together, they rule! The Hot Cake works less well with high-wattage amps like a Twin Reverb. It actually sounds like crap. But with that Marshall...!!!" (http://www.nelscline.com/tech.html)

And I've also heard great things about the Pro Analog Dirt Royale w/Cheeze.

Any other thoughts or opinions?

2. hamfist

hamfist Member

Well, I've found that the MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe is a most excellent boost for a Jtm45 (and I suspect it might suit your particular Jtm45 too !).
    The key to the BBD it it's tweakability. It's just so versatile. Thoroughly recommended !

The Jtm45 also takes to the Box of Rock like a duck to water. The Jtm can be either clean or slightly breaking up. My only proviso would be that the BoR almost needs to be an "always on" effect, because it has such a bass boost. You can adjust for the bass boost with the amp's EQ, but if you ever turn the BoR off then the other sounds will tend to sound rather thin and trebly in comparison.

Good luck with the new Jtm45. :AOK

3. freaksho

freaksho Member

watch the Zvex Box of Rock demo with a some sort of NMV Marshall cranked and clean. (it's on the Zvex website and youtube)

edit: amp in video may or may not be a JTM45. maybe Zack could chime in here?

4. hamfist

hamfist Member

I've looked very, very carefully at that video, I'm not sure it's on a Jtm45. It could be on any NMV Marshall. The vid doesn't seem to show any specific bits that identify the amp (I could be wrong here, I'm no expert on these things ).
    I agree it's a GREAT video ! and was a big part of me ordering a BoR.

5. freaksho

freaksho Member

oh, crap. i guess i just assumed based on his stated vision for the pedal. sorry for spreading potentially bad info.

6. jamiefbolton

jamiefbolton Supporting Member

the other guitar player in my band has the Ceriatone JTM45....Sozo caps.....Radiospares OT....he is using the OCD (not my fav) and he likes it....i've got the BoR through my AC30.....the BoR sounds great in his JTM45 too....but......look at the Menatone WMB!! i should have gotten this one!

7. jgyn

jgyn Member

My Zvex Box Of Rock, at 10-12 o'clock gain, achieves 'oneness' with my Marshall JTM45.

8. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I am awaiting a JTM 45 clone myself and this is making me wish I hadn't sold my BOR.

9. danelectrico

danelectrico Member

I have a Ceriatone JTM45 as well. Through a Mesa Boogie 4x12 cabinet (Vintage 30 speakers), it sounds fantastic. Superb cleans, and it takes pedals really well - yes, the Hotcake really is a suitable match for a great dirty rhythm sound. I use a Keeley TS9DX Flexi to stack with the Hotcake for leads, and it produces smooth, singing tones. For higher gain work, I have to say I've never heard my Crunchbox sound so good through any other amp - handles rock/metal with ease, both for rhythm and lead applications.

I find the Ceriatone JTM45 has a crystal clear top end, it shimmers. I wouldn't say it's overly bright, but it seems to accentuate the highs with dirt pedals, so I usually go easy on the amp's Presence (about 2) and Treble (no more than 3), and I just back off the Tone settings a little more on the Crunchbox than when I use it with other amps.

I have to say though when I tried the amp with a Marshall 1960A 4x12 cab (G12T-75 speakers), it wasn't very much to my liking. It sounded thinner and treblier and the sound didn't seem to push out like it does through the Mesa cab, which sounds pretty massive.

10. hamfist

hamfist Member

I would guess you're probably right anyway, freaksho. It's just that from what I remember of the shots of the front panel, you don't quite get to see the bit which would say "Jtm45".

danelectrico - I agree, my Crunch Box sounds excellent through the Jtm, but best over a clean tone, rather than a breaking up or overdriven tone.

11. danelectrico

danelectrico Member

hamfist - yeah i always leave my JTM45 clean, through the high treble channel, and dirt pedals sound awesome through it. even at volume 2 it's scaldingly loud. there's heaps of clean headroom and it will probably take hearing damage to get that amp to break up on that channel. It drives at lower volumes if you bridge the channels with a patch cable, but I don't care much for that driven tone - I definitely prefer using overdrive pedals instead.

12. Barnaby, Hardly

Barnaby, Hardly Member

Thanks so much for all the info fellas. Exactly what I was looking for.

I'm gonna be running the amp clean and using the following for my dirt: BJFE Honey Bee > BJFE Dyna Red Distortion > Klon... With a Retroman Sybil and Wolftone Chaos for fuzz. I'll be sure to report back on how these fare up.

The Box of Rock looks like it's going to be pretty tempting... Pretty much like a second channel by all accounts.

13. Barnaby, Hardly

Barnaby, Hardly Member

Here are some more useful and informative JTM45 & pedals threads, for simplicities sake in case anyone is searching for this info in future...

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=107803

--------------------

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=143125

--------------------

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=152206

--------------------

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=243409

:AOK

tdump likes this.
  14. ausguitarman

ausguitarman Member

My dirt chain for my JTM-45 is BOR > Mule > Hotcake > Hotcake Bluesberry.

It loves them all.

15. Barnaby, Hardly

Barnaby, Hardly Member

How are the two Hotcakes? Do you stack em at all? I never realised that they sounded different enough from each other to warrant owning em both!

16. Barnaby, Hardly

Barnaby, Hardly Member

How about fuzzes?

Any thoughts?

17. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Box of Rock
    Katana boost or similiar
    a good treble booster
    a good fuzz face
    I suspect a Klon, but never tried it.

18. Barnaby, Hardly

Barnaby, Hardly Member

19. Barnaby, Hardly

Barnaby, Hardly Member

20. ausguitarman

ausguitarman Member

They are similar yet different.

I like to describe the Bluesberry as a crisper version of the standard.