Great performance film / Jimi at RAH 1969

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member
I came across this performance video of Jimi at Royal Albert Hall in Feb of 1969 and really enjoyed it.

Great backing by Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell. Jimi has been at the top of my list of my favorite players since I first heard him in '66. No one like him.

I have a question for anyone who might know, or can tell by listening to this performance....

In this performance had Jimi began using a Silicone Fuzz Face or was he still using a Germanium Fuzz Face ?

jojogun1957

Great video!

I would guess he's still using a germanium fuzz face here, by the way it sputters when he cranks the volume on his guitar.

I can't imagine sitting motionless through this like the majority of the audience.Wow.

I think I saw the one cop's mustache curl up when Jimi got some feedback.

Still love the way he ends I Don't Live Today.This live version was even cooler.

bob-i

Damn...even when he had no [email protected]@ks to give he still brought the heat.

It was pretty well known that these later tours were only to make money to build electric ladyland up. He was not into touring anymore.

Damn that had to be loud. I can't imagine you could hear his voice at all. Serious power from all those stacks.

Great post.

seiko

Maybe he did or didn't care, but it was a pretty big deal to play the RAH in those days.

Anyway, watch this while you can, it'll probably get taken down. It's not the whole set but this is definitely top 5 live Jimi recorded.

monwobobbo

the switch to silicon was done sometime in 68. Jimi had gear stored in Europe for touring over there so I'm thinking that would have included germanium fuzz faces as they would have been older models. seems like his live tone didn't really change drastically until Woodstock and after.

GrungeMan

As for the RAH video, I think the Hendrix Experience has been trying to free up the rights to the video/music for years, the Sunday Times owns it???

Last edited:

seantk

Silver Supporting Member
I think it is really funny to see the crowd just sit there like they are watching a high school lecture.

Strat58

The best Little Wing Jimi played in his life to bad man what a genius he was, still get amazed after hearing him al these years.
Peace Strat58

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
Amazing live Hendrix. What a sheer explosion that man was! He took the lid off rock music and music in general. Amazing I was alive when a monster like that walked the earth. I passed up a few chances to see him live, thinking 'next time".
The Experience was a tight band when they were on. Unlike some, I really like Noel on bass with Jimi.

Last edited:

b_goatman

Gold Supporting Member
I love this...Hear My Train A Coming knocked me out. Never get tired of the man.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
My understanding is that the RAH show was to be a live film release called "Experience" or similar. It was a big deal at the time and featured special guests and a jam at the end. I think it was the last Hendrix concert in England for sometime.

Never has been properly released to my knowledge as a film or video. A lot of the music came out on two LPs called music from the film experience oddly enough.I think a British newspaper put out a cd of the show some years ago and the audio has appeared sometimes on other releases in part.

As I recall.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
My understanding is that the RAH show was to be a live film release called "Experience" or similar. It was a big deal at the time and featured special guests and a jam at the end. I think it was the last Hendrix concert in England for sometime.

It would certainly be cool to see it as an official release.

Meanwhile, at the very same time, this was taking place across the pond.... My 7th birthday party...

Birthday2-24-69.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom