Great show! Spectacle:Elvis Costello with...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by sleepingtiger, Dec 16, 2009.

1. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

It's on Sundance Channel & seems to concentrate on songwriters & songwriting. It's kind of like "Inside the Actors Studio" for musicians/songwriters, except with multiple guests.
    Anybody else see it?

Tony

2. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit® Silver Supporting Member

I love it. Best show of its kind in my opinion. Mr. Costello is not only a walking encyclopaedia of all things musical, but has a genuine curiosity about his guests and their talents. And he not only talks with them but plays with them.

The range and stature of the people who have been on (Lou Reed, Elton John, The Police, Bono and the Edge, Herbie Hancock etc. etc.) is a really quite amazing and is a pretty good indicator of just how well respected Mr. Costello is by his peers.

The second season has just started and I will watch faithfully.

3. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

awesome but this is the last season, rats.

4. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

There have been a few threads about the show. Here's the best performance from last season:

5. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

Are you sure? When I spoke to Elvis after a concert in June he didn't even know then that there would be a second season.

6. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I just became aware of it. Better late to the party than not to have arrived at all, I guess...

Tony

7. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Watched every episode so far. The most recent one I've seen had Bono and Edge on. Fascinating. Elvis is a great interviewer.

8. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

Good call, he changes his mind plenty, and apparently once again after what I heard last month- this is from Dec 9th:

http://www.atu2.com/news/elvis-costello-talks-about-opening-spectacle-second-season-with-u2.html
    --
    And yet, despite the program's success, Costello's not sure how much longer he will continue making it.

"No, not really, no," he said. "I think it's good to go into everything you do as if it's the first or last thing you're going to do."

"You have to take note of the fact that Season 1 was 13 episodes, and Season 2 was seven episodes. So maybe, if there were a Season 3, it would only be three-and-a-half episodes," he adds, slyly.

9. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

Just learned about the show & watched last weeks & tonights (with Springsteen).....

GREAT SHOW !!!!! :aok

10. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I agree, and I hope that he continues to do it. The interviews and performances are almost uniformly great, and Costello's knowledge and interest in such a spectrum of music makes for great insights and fine musical moments aplenty.

It also seems to me that Costello's stature is beneficial to the episodes, as well. There seems to be a great deal of mutual respect and admiration.

11. mik777

mik777 Member

I miss "Night Music" with David Sanborn! Wish they would bring that show back