Great Singer......does your band have one?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 2HBStrat, Jun 1, 2015.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Are you in a band with, or have you been in a band with, or are you, a great singer? What famous bands have or had great singers? Is Mick Jagger a great singer? How about John Lennon or Paul McCartney? Freddie Mercury?

FWIW one of the bands that I am in now has a great lead singer, and I have been in two bands in the past with great singers, but all of the rest have just been average singers.

Does having a great singer in the band give you a better chance of success?

2. RCM78

RCM78 Member

Yeah, my current band has a great singer. Our bassist is even better. The four of us can all sing and our drummer can arrange harmonies like no other.
    I really feel that bands of all shapes and sizes live and die by vocals...

Gillespie1983, NoQuarter and retroLS1 like this.
  3. NoQuarter

NoQuarter Member

Soooo hard to find. I have only seen one, maybe two in my whole local scene experience that have made me say wow and exude the star factor on all levels (chops,stage presence,drive,etc.) having a great singer is probably the most important aspect of having a truly exceptional band that stands above the rest and sets you apart. I have played with one of these singers...and it inspires. Not to say the other singers I have been with we're bad, but, when there is that spark, you know it.

4. retroLS1

retroLS1 Supporting Member

In my first band with a very good singer and it is very refreshing. I agree that vocals and totally make or break a band. Doesn't matter if the guitarist can out-shred EVH or if the drummer is the best in the world... if the singer is no good, people aren't going to want to listen

NoQuarter likes this.
  5. Turi

Turi Member

Whenever I jam with guys they always say how good it is to have an 'actual' singer.

Makes a big difference IMO.

I think vocals are the most important part of a band - the vocalist is definitely the face of the band most times for sure.

Good vocals is extremely important and the only reason I don't get booed off stage, I'm a total hack on guitar. :/

It helps get gigs too.
    I know my vocals are a major asset to any band here so I'm always wary of who I sing for/with.

You kinda get 'used' as a good vocalist.

6. loudboy

loudboy Member

If your definition of a "great singer" is someone who can give a compelling performance and command an audience's attention, then yes, you need a great singer.

If your definition is a technically great singer, then not so much.

Mick Jagger, Bob Dylan and Neil Young would come to mind - are they great technically? No, but they can sure put a song across to a stadium full of people, and it's hard to imagine anyone else singing their material with the same believability.

7. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Paging TPG member Scott "Fuzzbird" Holiday. :)

I agree with NoQuarter, a great singer is inspiring.

8. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I was in a cover band for years with a friend who can nail Steve Perry and Bon Scott. He was a great rock singer in general but those 2... I'd get chills.

9. goldentrout2009

goldentrout2009 Member

Everybody seems to have their own criteria: strong voice or wide range, or timbre, etc. For me its do I believe what they're singing. Lennon made me believe (and he had a very flexible singing voice, from raspy to seductive). For me a great example of singing is Muddy Water's Good Morning Little Schoolgirl

Hear him sing this and you don't want him anywhere within ten miles of any school.

10. radicool

radicool Member

Our band is a 3-piece, and we all sing pretty well. I sing 85% of the leads and backing vocals on the other 15%. I would not call myself great, but I'm pretty good. My definition of pretty good: I can sing all night without a problem, don't wander in and out of key, have a good range, don't forget lyrics, and my voice has a pleasant tonality. To my mind, all of those things are basics that any lead singer should be able to do, but I've heard a lot of singers who screw up one of more of those things routinely - so that fact bumps me up to "pretty good". If I wasn't the only guitar player, and could concentrate on just singing, I think I could move up to "very good" with some hard work.

11. FFTT

FFTT Member

There are range singers, high vocal shredders & screamers, and then there are great entertainers with a unique vocal character. Dylan, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Tom Petty, Lou Reed etc.

When you listen to many of the greatest hits of all time, it is generally the unique character of the voice that stands out.

12. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

How are you using the word "great"? It is a word that is thrown around so much it has little agreed upon meaning. Is the worst QB in the NFL "great" ? Sure he is because to even be in the NFL you have to be one of the best at what you do.

A great singer ? What does that mean ? Great compared to who ? Compared to local singers who can barely carry a tune ? Great to the point that people will follow the band around and great so the band plays only top paying gigs ? Great like "hey we made it through the night without the guy getting so drunk he passed out by the 3rd set" ?
    I think the word great can be over used.

The last part of your question is silly.

sanrico likes this.
  13. FFTT

FFTT Member

Consider the kid who won The Voice this year. Sure there was girl power behind his win, but.......
    when you listen to the other contestants many had killer ranges, but beyond that they sounded pretty much generic.

14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I love Muddy Waters, but wouldn't he be more of what is called a stylist rather than a great singer?

goldentrout2009 likes this.
  15. FFTT

FFTT Member

The lead vocalist on The Romantics What I Like About You, is hardly a great technical vocalist, but his delivery draws you in and makes you smile, connecting with the audience. Same for The Ramones.

16. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Seriously, dude?!?

17. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

I've got 2, male and female. They are great together, as they are pretty different. The guy is 100 percent energy all the time, crowd engaging...the girl has the pipes. I've played with since 2011 and have never heard her have an off night. Power house of a singer. What she lacks in stage presence, she makes up for in looks.

They're often at the bottom of the totem pole of my power trip, self conscious, dramatic, know it all band, but they really carry us. We'd be nothing without them.

18. FFTT

FFTT Member

My last full time working band, all 5 of us sang lead and backups.
    Our vocals enabled us to cover material many bands wouldn't dare touch.
    That set us apart and kept us booked 3 months in advance.

19. emdub123

emdub123 Supporting Member

Seems to me that a lot of bands either don't notice or don't care that much about vocals. When I was new to town and responding to "guitarist wanted" ads on CL, I couldn't believe how many bands had really bad singers with off-key vocals. In many cases, they had semi-pro recordings. It's one thing to not hear/notice off-key vocals at a show, but how can people produce and distribute recordings with off-key vocals? Is it possible that EVERYONE in the band (and at the studio in some cases) can't hear pitch issues or do they all just keep their mouths shut?

norbulator likes this.
  20. greenhilander

greenhilander Member

A very well respected, working, phenomenal, successful vocalist used to be in my band. I helped launch his career. Spoiled me. My current vocalist does a great job and is very good. But I will never have "that" treat ever again. My old vocalist puts the bug in my ear once in a while about doing another album for fun. There would be no tour or gigs though.
    I guess I am darn lucky.