• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Great sounding high gain pedals for metal

LPVM

Maybe Ill try a moded mt 2.
stock dint have enough output volume for me. The higher it went, the fizzier and more shrill it got.
I modded mine and it's much better than stock now. Revoicing the EQ section with cap changes and changing the clipper diodes took care of the fizzy, shrill distortion. I also replaced the in line opamp with a stacked JRC4558 set. The end result is a smoother more Overdrive like pedal without the stock nasal tone. The short clip below includes gut shots that show some of these changes.

Last edited:

carltonh

Does anyone else like the Metal Muff? This is what I use and I like it alot. It is very versatile and I get tons of metal tones out of it
Yes, I still use one. However, although I thought it sounded quite good on its own, I added an MXR 10 band EQ after it and made it sound beyond great. Then when I turn off the EQ, it makes it sound like punk instead of metal in comparison.

eclipseall

i borrowed a metal muff once for band rehearsal and although the distortion sounded ok...the nloise in put out was unbarable. i didnt use a noise gate, just the pedal through a clean amp. i was using emgs and they usually remain noiseless.

madmanmike777

ok, as defined from 80s "metal", the Dimarzio Very Metal is a HIDDEN GEM!! this pedal came out a few years before the rat, if it had been timed right, this pedal would be the one people are after....it will do ALL The high gain stuff you want, AND do mid gain od as well! i have had this pedal since forever ago, and i just cant think of parting with it...i use it as usually my only "distortion" device...granted i also use an od for milder gain, but for Green Day covers and such, forget it, the dimarzio very metal does the job FAR beyond any production or boutique metal pedal that ive played anyways...this thing is a SHRED machine....seriously, check it out, you can barely ever find them on ebay and craigslist, but if you do, GRAB it!

JacksonCarter

my .02

I really dig...

boss sd-2 red side
bogner xtc red pedal
mxr distortion III (not super heavy, but takes boosts great)

keto

Elements - I have to guess it may be somewhat amp dependant, as with many other pedals. I had one amp where I just could_not_get_rid of the fuzziness and artifacting, not at 9v or 18v, not with the gain all the way down on the lower setting.

Through another amp I have, it just rips.

sefloval

I recently bought an EH Metal Muff and really enjoying it. I know there's better, but it makes me happy and sounds really decent through my rig. Next is a Wampler Plextortion and then maybe a Weehbo pedal...the Weehbo pedal line sounds really good based on clips alone.

madmanmike777

dont know if i already replied at this particular thread, but anyone actually ever get their hands on a Dimarzio Very Metal pedal? these were only made for like a year or two, take the silly 1/8" power like a rat, and sound like...well, GOLD...but NOT for anything past "80s" gain metal...i mean, it will go up there in gain, but it really excels at making your tone HUGE sounding like a wall of marshalls, seriously...but NOT in that all bashed up signal type of way the boss pedals do the job...seriously, i have a NEED inside me to let the world in on the secret of this pedal! IF you can find one, GRAB it up! at the very least you can sell it to me so i can have a backup! its the only drive pedal ive kept for more than 2 years lol! and ill never give it up...i play in a punk rock band, ala blink 182 green day the ataris etc...and this pedal does the job in front of vintage fender amps like GOD himself...thanks for reading, dimarzio very metal! get one!

5150user

Out of all of these if I had to pick one id take the tight metal whcih is the pedal I use live the most
That's very interesting. I have one of James' original 5150 amps, and I work with an ex-coworker of his. I have been genuinely curious about the Tight Rock and Tight Metal pedals for those reasons.

Axe-Man

MI Audio Megalith is a very impressive pedal.

I had my 100w amp cranked up very loud yesterday (down at my in laws beach house - pointed out at the deserted beach...sorry fishermen :)) through a 1x12 and it really does sound amp like...very much like a good quality high gain amp TBBH.

Had good presence and cut without having to push the high end too hard. This is something I wondered about when using a SS pedal at really high volume (would it get buried live?) but it had loads of mids and presence...it's not a scooped/empty sounding unit at volume.

I still think it's easily the best high gain SS pedal I've come across.

I would even go on to say that yesterday it probably produced some of the better high gain tones at volume I've had when compared to good quality digital front ends (HD500/Eleven Rack) running into high end tube power amps and even my old 5150 and Dual Recto. It really worked well and didn't mush out or feel sterile to play through. I ran it into a clean tube preamp and then into the power section of my 100w Yeti. Call me impressed.

martyman

Metal - Green Day - Shred

Which of these is not like the other? Which of these is not like the other?

ok, as defined from 80s "metal", the Dimarzio Very Metal is a HIDDEN GEM!! this pedal came out a few years before the rat, if it had been timed right, this pedal would be the one people are after....it will do ALL The high gain stuff you want, AND do mid gain od as well! i have had this pedal since forever ago, and i just cant think of parting with it...i use it as usually my only "distortion" device...granted i also use an od for milder gain, but for Green Day covers and such, forget it, the dimarzio very metal does the job FAR beyond any production or boutique metal pedal that ive played anyways...this thing is a SHRED machine....seriously, check it out, you can barely ever find them on ebay and craigslist, but if you do, GRAB it!

Progbusters

One nobody has mentioned, but it is inexpensive and sounds awesome is the Biyang Metal End. $70. Convinced me to sell / trade both my PisDIYawot and my MXR Fullbore.
I just got a Biyang Metal End at amazon for same price shipped. Anyways only played with it at home for a little. It has a wide variety of sounds and modes. And the best part, unlike the other pedals I've tried, is that it is not Fizzy/Fuzzy!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom