Great video SRV content

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blue4Now, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCp0Shxmozk

Having recently aquired a SRV Sig strat (very early year) I saw this video and really enjoyed it. I thought those of us who appreciate this model may want to discuss some of its unique qualities. I like the 57 body shape and 60's neck (rosewood board) and sort of like the lefty trem although I don't use the trem much, I find this location very natural to use. The gold hardware I am on the fence abnout but it is nice and tarnished now and worn off in spots so it looks cool. I changed the guard to Mint and the previous owner put in a set of Rio Grande pickups which sound killer. So all in all I really like this Strat. I know others here own and enjoy this strat as well.

2. greeny

greeny Member

Why's the neck not on straight?

The bass E is floating in no-mans land from around the 12th Fret.

3. Blue4Now

I know, I was wondering the same thing.

4. esc

esc Member

It looked like the neck was scalloped too ?

5. TGF

TGF Member

Are we discussing the SRV Sig, or the SRV Number one? If we're talking about the former, I can chime in.

I own it. And I LOVE it. The gold hardware paired with the lefty tremolo provides a pretty unique twist to the strat, while still remaining "vintagy". At first, the neck confused me, but after playing and playing and playing on it, I'm starting to really love it. Fat, and chunky. It's killer!

No real opinion on the pao ferro. It looks a little like the rosewood that's on my mexican strat, but it's very much lighter compared to the African RW I have on my Mayer sig (Yes, I own 2 sigs. Someone shoot me)

I like Texas Specials aswell. Not a real fan when I bought them seperately and put 'em in my Mexi strat, but that thing is half-dead anyway, so I was surprised when I tried the SRV for the first time. Not as vintage as other pickups, but they're hot. And they rock!

What I did _not_ like, was the pickguard. It looked a little cheesy, so I replaced it with an old 90'ies model cellu-tortoise that Fender does not make anymore. It's the best tortoise Fender ever made in my opinion. It just looks killer. Originally inspired by Mato Nanji of Indigenous' pickguard. John Mayer uses it too, and it also looks awesome on his SRV.
    Here's some shots of mine; Some are obviously taken before I changed the pickguard.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Why are They playing Lenny on a video about Number One?

7. Blue4Now

Thanks TGF that was the type of dicsussion I was looking for. Do you use the trem, do you like it set up as a lefty?

8. TGF

TGF Member

I don't use tremolo, so I wouldn't know :)

9. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

I've had mine for 4 to 5 years and love it. I played 3, or 4 before I picked this one. It's from 1996. The necks where different on all of them and this one was just right. The only thing I had to adjust to is 10's as I use 9's on all my other guitars. 10's on the SRV keep the neck perfect. I leave the pickgaurd on, It's my respect to a great guitar player.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Blue4Now

hey pullagnm, I just pilled the neck off mine otnight and found out it was a 96 also. Good year for the SRV!!!

11. Kelly

Kelly Member