Greatest Rock Album of ALL TIME?

JSeth

Has to be the first, the original, the cover that we all said " What in the F**K is THAT!!!!". To this day, younger ones hear it and are BLOOOOWWWWNNN AWAAAAAY!!!

Of course, I'm talking about...

ARE YOU EXPERIENCED????

The Jimi Hendrix Experience

'nuff said...

SW33THAND5

London Calling - The Clash

man! i remember when that came out. i thought that its was good but i became SO TIRED of rolling stone and the rest of the press shoving it down my throat. i always thought that it was good, but highly overrated. :huh

Lespaulsignature 74

Gold Supporting Member
I was wondering if someone would give mention to Allman Bros. Live at The Fillmore East... I second that emotion!!!!

keninsyr

How about the pioneers. Elvis Presley "The Sun Sessions". Kinda where it all started.
Chuck Berry's Greatest hits. Greatest is an opinion, but what about most important. All of the previously mentioned are great recordings but would they have even existed without Elivis, Chuck, Little Richard, ect. Its an interesting thought.

Thwap

Platinum Supporting Member
Guys, I didn't say the most rocking album, or your personal fave album. And by using rock I'm covering hard rock, blues rock, progressive rock, punk rock, etc.

While a lot of the choices here are valid a good chunk of them miss the mark in regards to staying relevant to each new generation of listeners.

This is where I think DSOTM beats out most. Heck, the album stayed on the Billboard top 200 chart for over 14 years!!!

But to each his or her own.
If that's the criteria, then judging from my son (19) his friends, my colleagues at work 25-60, it would definitely be ACDC Back in Black.

Nothing else I can think of even close.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member

While a lot of the choices here are valid a good chunk of them miss the mark in regards to staying relevant to each new generation of listeners.

This is where I think DSOTM beats out most.....
So you are trying to state this as an "absolute" and not an opinion? Why didn't you just say, in your original post, "DSOTM is the greatest album of all-time; most others pale in comparison; and I will defend this as an absolute"?

DWB1960

So you are trying to state this as an "absolute" and not an opinion?
Not at all. I just think that a lot of the ones that folks are posting don't measure up to all of the criteria I listed in the original post.:boxer

From beginning to end in the sense of great songwriting, arrangements, performances, production, engineering, etc. as well as a timeless quality that allows each new generation of listeners to dig it as much as the first. And lastly, that special something that you can't put into words but is undeniably there when you listen to it.

fierce_carrot

Derek & the Dominoes "Live in Concert"

Clapton and the band were absolutely on fire those 4 nights.

Johnny Winter AND "LIVE" is a very very close 2nd

DWB1960

I've seen a lot of great suggestions. Which do you figure don't measure up?
I guess the ones that young folks today wouldn't consider amazing. My 19 year old son and his friends are very open minded in regard to music and they've all sampled Hendrix, The Who, The Beatles, Zeppelin, The Clash, ABB, and most of the other stuff listed in this thread.

They all think that DSOTM is absolutely incredible and listen to it all the time. They dig most of the other stuff too but nowhere near in the same way.

And being born in 1960, I've heard all this stuff first hand and have been surrounded by it for my 48 years. DSOTM just has "something" for me that makes it sit just a tiny bit above everything else at the end of the day.

Some of the others that would be slightly below it would be:

Zep IV (Graffiti is killer but definitely has some filler on side 4)
Who's Next (easily their pinnacle IMO)
Abbey Road (for me more consistant than Sgt Pepper)
Crime of the Century (stellar from start to finish)
Joshua Tree (every song is a hit)

It's too early in the morning to think of any more right now.

korby

I played DSOTM for my 12 year old son yesterday , he looked a little scared thru parts .

Trending Topics