• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Greatest Rock Band ever

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
Years ago, Rolling Stone used to do a "Greatest Rock Band Ever poll. I remember the last time I saw it, the 4 finalists were:

Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
The Who
The Rolling Stones

Obviously that was many years ago (Early 80s if I remember correctly). Even at that time, only Zeppelin would make my "best rock groups" list out of that list.

So, let's call it 40 years later, who are the 4 best rock groups in history? I know this is a fools exercise here, but ONLY list your top 4. In order if you like, not in order if you don't want too.

Mine-

1- Van Halen
2- Led Zeppelin
3- Rush
4- Dream Theater (I think they are the best but obviously have a smaller audience due to how heavy and proggy they are).

TOP FOUR ONLY! Go

Powderfinger

Platinum Supporting Member
Years ago, Rolling Stone used to do a "Greatest Rock Band Ever poll. I remember the last time I saw it, the 4 finalists were:

Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
The Who
The Rolling Stones

Obviously that was many years ago (Early 80s if I remember correctly). Even at that time, only Zeppelin would make my "best rock groups" list out of that list.

So, let's call it 40 years later, who are the 4 best rock groups in history? I know this is a fools exercise here, but ONLY list your top 4. In order if you like, not in order if you don't want too.

Mine-

1- Van Halen
2- Led Zeppelin
3- Rush
4- Dream Theater (I think they are the best but obviously have a smaller audience due to how heavy and proggy they are).

TOP FOUR ONLY! Go

Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
The Who
The Rolling Stones

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
On historical impact, filtered for personal genre preferences (I don't do prog or hair metal) and discounting solo artists (in which case Bowie and Dylan knock out the bottom two)

The Beatles
The Velvet Underground
The Sex Pistols
The Smiths

Trending Topics