• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Greatest Rock Band ever

Yuro

I also like the Van Morrison reply....not sure he's pure Rock or a pure "band", but he had a great show at Newport Folk Festival in 1969....only time I ever got to see him.

Yuro

Cream were the greatest rock band, not the best songwriters but best band.
Fantastic bassist, fantastic singer, fantastic drummer, good guitar player too :cool:
I have to disagree. They were great musicians who didn't really click on stage with me. I saw them twice and...meh. I'd have to say "when they're clicking on all cylinders"...which was seldom.

Petty, on the other hand, ALWAYS gave a great live show.

om42

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
For the vast majority of posters in this thread, I would say that the bands of your teenage youth, or at least the music you were exposed to and listened to at that point in your life, take a majority of the spots. I recall hearing about a study where they looked at the how the music of your youth impacted your musical taste for the rest of your life. Those formative musical taste developmental years have quite a profound influence with the extreme examples of dementia patients being able to recall songs from their youth but little else. I think it would be interesting to do this thread again in the future and post your age along with your choices to see if this theory bears fruit.

Yuro

That's an impossible to make list for me. First thing I listen to a lot of diverse music. Some days it's going to be a retro day and I'll listen to the Beatles and Rolling Stones or the Who etc... But then there are days that I'll listen to Cannonball Adderley or Charlie Parker - and
some days it's Julian Bream or David Tanenbaum - and sometimes it's Vivaldi or Mozart - and then I have my ambient days which covers a whole fields of players - David Torn or Andy Summers.

The thing for me is that music is to be explored - and not rated like a competition.
Um...most of those mentioned would not be considered ROCK bands Nice to know you have such a diverse palette but the question is about the best rock band, not about what you listen to on the car radio.

Yuro

Beatles Sly & the Family Stone
Rolling Stones Parliament-Funkadelic
Grateful Dead Ohio Players
Jimi Hendrix Experience The Meters
Led Zeppelin The Wailers

Other top bands for me:

The Who

The Kinks
The Yardbirds
Small Faces/Faces
Cream/Blind Faith
Pink Floyd
The Move
Traffic
Roxy Music

Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
AC/DC
ZZ Top
Allman Brothers

Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Byrds
The Band
Beach Boys
The Doors

Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention
Velvet Underground
Thirteenth Floor Elevators
Iggy & the Stooges
Ramones
Clash
Sex Pistols
Butthole Surfers

Sonic Youth

Isley Brothers

War
Temptations
The J.B.'s

I frikking love the Byrds...almost every recording they did...and most every band David Crosby has been in...but DC was an A-hole for most of his famous years...really mean. Most band members don't want to have anything to do with him anymore. Byrds broke up due to severe drug and personality issues. They could have been the best easily if they'd got along with each other and themselves. So...I can't put them on a list of the best.

The Band...Hmmm.....I think they were the total package. GREAT songs. GREAT recordings....GREAT live shows and with enough longevity. I saw them with Dylan in the Chicago Amphitheater...now gone in favor of the United Center. It was a good show but the venue was not really kind to them. Dylan's solo set was phenomenal even in that massive place. The Band is one of my go-to favorites but I only actually saw them that one time...so I didn't include them. I'd like to see them in a 3,000 seat space, not a 30,000 seat space.

Yuro

No love for Jethro Tull? I hereby declare Tull one of the contenders for a spot in the top 4! Pink Floyd would have to be there too. And Frank Zappa. Hard to decide on only 4 with so many excellent bands to choose from! Maybe the Dead would be on my list also. Or Little Feat.
Mickey:

Respectfully, I frikkin can't stand Tull. If I hear Aqualung one more time in my life, I'm going to break something.

Yuro

tough question!

Longevity: Rolling Stones

Being relevant and showing others how to be relevant: Led Zepplin

Everlasting music of classic quality: Pink Floyd from The Dark Side to the Wall

Personal favorite for no particularly deep reason: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
You had me until Springsteen....Just OK in my book.

mcknigs

Silver Supporting Member
Years ago, Rolling Stone used to do a "Greatest Rock Band Ever poll. I remember the last time I saw it, the 4 finalists were:

Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
The Who
The Rolling Stones

Obviously that was many years ago (Early 80s if I remember correctly). Even at that time, only Zeppelin would make my "best rock groups" list out of that list.

So, let's call it 40 years later, who are the 4 best rock groups in history? I know this is a fools exercise here, but ONLY list your top 4. In order if you like, not in order if you don't want too.

Mine-

1- Van Halen
2- Led Zeppelin
3- Rush
4- Dream Theater (I think they are the best but obviously have a smaller audience due to how heavy and proggy they are).

TOP FOUR ONLY! Go
I haven't read the entire thread and don't really believe there's such a thing as a greatest rock band ever. That said, I want to put in a vote for NRBQ.

Yuro

1. Beatles
2. Rolling Stones
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
5. Neil Young and Crazyhorse
I like the Neil Young and Crazyhorse choice. I never got to see them. They have a lot of good recorded music. Neil is a singular talent with the weirdest voice and just phenomenal control over it. He just always seems to know what to do next!

Bucksfan70

50s - Elvis Presley & The Blue Moon Boys
60s - The Beatles
70s - Led Zeppelin
80s - Van Halen
90s - Foo Fighters

Lifetime Achievement Award - The Rolling Stones
i think you pretty much nailed it here except maybe the last one for the 90's would be nirvana, soundgarden or pearl jam

Reactions: HJR

Yuro

Steeley Dan
Steeley Dan
Steeley Dan
Steeley Dan
Only thing wrong with this choice is that it's really only 2 guys. All the rest are studio guys. In the jazz world, getting a gig with Steely was a very highly regarded thing. I saw them once at a little suburban college. There were a bunch of people up there and they could have been anyone doing Steely Dan songs. It was a fun time, but I wasn't moved. I love their recordings and have purchased many.

Yuro

For the vast majority of posters in this thread, I would say that the bands of your teenage youth, or at least the music you were exposed to and listened to at that point in your life, take a majority of the spots. I recall hearing about a study where they looked at the how the music of your youth impacted your musical taste for the rest of your life. Those formative musical taste developmental years have quite a profound influence with the extreme examples of dementia patients being able to recall songs from their youth but little else. I think it would be interesting to do this thread again in the future and post your age along with your choices to see if this theory bears fruit.
Yeah, that works except for Tom Petty, who I only discovered after about age 50 or so. That band's entire catalog is original and just great. If you don't like a track, just wait and it'll grow on you. What a terrific group...all American too, except maybe for Mike Campbell, the very best rock guitarist ever, in my book.

Yuro

I really like great vocals, especially with harmonies. For me, that puts bands like The Byrds, the Beatles, CSN&Y, The Band and to a lesser extent, The Eagles in their own exceptional class. Harmonies are so powerful, especially when done with the right sort of music.

The Hollies and The Association were vocal-oriented bands that I liked very much too....can't put them in the greatest catagory, but doesn't mean I don't still sing "Bus Stop" in my head from time to time...very catchy stuff...maybe more pop?

Joe Cocker would not have been Joe Cocker without Merri Clayton and the choir with those massive harmonic backgrounds. The Commitments were a nice re-do of that sort of stuff...GREAT.

I experienced the extreme joy of fronting a 4 girl doo-wop chorus with guitar and vocals for a bunch of sessions....What a great time that was. It was a non-commercial success. We were appreciated and we deserved it. Not much better than that.

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
Years ago, Rolling Stone used to do a "Greatest Rock Band Ever poll. I remember the last time I saw it, the 4 finalists were:

Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
The Who
The Rolling Stones

Obviously that was many years ago (Early 80s if I remember correctly). Even at that time, only Zeppelin would make my "best rock groups" list out of that list.

So, let's call it 40 years later, who are the 4 best rock groups in history? I know this is a fools exercise here, but ONLY list your top 4. In order if you like, not in order if you don't want too.

Mine-

1- Van Halen
2- Led Zeppelin
3- Rush
4- Dream Theater (I think they are the best but obviously have a smaller audience due to how heavy and proggy they are).

TOP FOUR ONLY! Go
Rush is a great rock band, but they had absolutely no roll.

Trending Topics