• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Greatest Rock Band ever

mflemmer2

Queen
Yes
The Beatles
Tie: Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull or Steely Dan (sorry--hard to pick only 4)

Additional:
Favorite guitarist--Jimi Hendrix or Eddie Van Halen
Percussionist--Neil Peart
Keyboardist--Keith Emerson
Vocalist--Freddie Mercury
Bassist--Geddy Lee, Chris Squire or John Entwistle

You know, I don't think I ever knowingly listened to a Who song. Where should I start?

Edit: I think I listened to a fragment of a song with a weird choir (from Tommy I think) and went, 'nOt fOr mE'

Who's Next
is the place to start.

One thing about The Who is that their sound changed substantially over the years. Of course, they still sound like The Who, but, like Jethro Tull, The Beatles, Rush, or Pink Floyd (and not like, say, Rory Gallagher, Iron Maiden, Nightwish, or Thin Lizzy), every record sounds different.

80smetalhead

Ozone safe Hair Metal all the time \m/
So the 4 greatest rock bands of all time all were all formed between 1960 and 1968? And everything else before and afterwards has been pointless?

Polls like this are one of many reasons why I hate Rolling Stone. And the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame.

Real artists don’t create to “win”. Or to win acceptance by an organization that wants them to pony up $25,000 a table to attend an “award“ ceremony given by elitist music industry snobs that would rather put Madonna and ABBA in and keep Dio, Môtôrhead, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy and Môtley Crûe out.

Don’t know about anyone else but polls and self serving awards ain’t too rock and roll to me.

Last edited:

Jo

Led Zeppelin
Rush
The Beatles
---- too many to mention for the #4 slot ----

mrpinter

Silver Supporting Member
My favorite four the moment (could be different tomorrow)
Spirit
Los Lobos
Cream
Midnight Oil

Pastafarian

Years ago, Rolling Stone used to do a "Greatest Rock Band Ever poll. I remember the last time I saw it, the 4 finalists were:

Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
The Who
The Rolling Stones

Obviously that was many years ago (Early 80s if I remember correctly). Even at that time, only Zeppelin would make my "best rock groups" list out of that list.

So, let's call it 40 years later, who are the 4 best rock groups in history? I know this is a fools exercise here, but ONLY list your top 4. In order if you like, not in order if you don't want too.

Mine-

1- Van Halen
2- Led Zeppelin
3- Rush
4- Dream Theater (I think they are the best but obviously have a smaller audience due to how heavy and proggy they are).

TOP FOUR ONLY! Go
My 3 favorite Rock Bands are in no particular order..

Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
My 3 favorite Rock Bands are in no particular order..

Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath
One of those is one of my all time favorite bands as well, and the band that got me into harder rock and metal. You’ll have to guess which one it was though.

Dasherf7

Years ago, Rolling Stone used to do a "Greatest Rock Band Ever poll. I remember the last time I saw it, the 4 finalists were:

Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
The Who
The Rolling Stones

Obviously that was many years ago (Early 80s if I remember correctly). Even at that time, only Zeppelin would make my "best rock groups" list out of that list.

So, let's call it 40 years later, who are the 4 best rock groups in history? I know this is a fools exercise here, but ONLY list your top 4. In order if you like, not in order if you don't want too.

Mine-

1- Van Halen
2- Led Zeppelin
3- Rush
4- Dream Theater (I think they are the best but obviously have a smaller audience due to how heavy and proggy they are).

TOP FOUR ONLY! Go
Dream Theatre IS a good group, DTR! Yeah, the obvious ones, Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, 'Smith...
One of my favorite all time greater rock bands are Wishbone Ash, any of Jeff Beck's groups, especially the lineups with Jimmy Hall and Rosie Bones; Joe Bonamassa, and my list goes on...

Jasonfoote303

I always answer this question with Ween. Half joking, but I really do think they are the best rock band since the 90's.

The reason they are so good is because they are doing all the great rock parts of all the great rock bands. Everybody mentioned on this thread is obviously "better" but I swear that Ween could open up for ANY great rock band throughout rock history: Beatles, Zep, Stones, Who, Rush, Bob Marley, Creedence...

They could respectably play alongside anybody you put up here.

Howzaboppin

Who's Next is the place to start.

One thing about The Who is that their sound changed substantially over the years. Of course, they still sound like The Who, but, like Jethro Tull, The Beatles, Rush, or Pink Floyd (and not like, say, Rory Gallagher, Iron Maiden, Nightwish, or Thin Lizzy), every record sounds different.
Thanks, I'll give it a spin. I may end up saying n0t f0r mE like a moron, but at least it will be an informed opinion. Or heck, I may end up discovering my next favorite act! :aok

Also, thanks for not telling me I should listen to their complete discography 1951-2031 or I will never understand the greatness that is, etc, etc. ;)

Trending Topics