Greco 1982 Explorer advice

Santa666

I´m thinking of buying this -82 greco Explorer, the problem is i´m not very familiar with greco pricing, they originally wanted $ 1400 for it and i´m now down to $ 1000 including shipping. I really want a natural mahogany explorer and i am prepared to pay a bit too much but not WAY too much, any thoughts/advice? For some reason i can´t add pics at the moment, working on it.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2r2rp04.jpg[/IMG]']

Last edited:

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
I think it's way over priced. I see 70 Greco LPs going for $700 all day. Granted an explorer maybe a bit rare but not for an 82 at that price tag. From what I read the Greco's were made at the Ibanez plant. So they are good stuff.

Santa666

This is in sweden and it's generally more expensive here, there are a few gibson explorers out for less but no natural mahogany.

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
Oh in Europe. OK then it's not too bad with shipping included. If it's really what you want I would not chance loosing it for a hundred or two. Not worth the hassles to find another. Looks to be in decent shape too

DrumBob

I had a Greco Explorer and it was a very nice guitar that I probably should have held onto. I can't comment on the price, but if you want it, buy it before someone else does.

slipbeer

Gold Supporting Member
I just pulled on my TGP enabling hat.

Buy it. There aren't a lot of them floating around.

JLee

I think it's way over priced. I see 70 Greco LPs going for $700 all day.

Early/mid 70s Greco, or any MIJ compared to very late 70s/80s Greco/MIJ are completely different animals. Night and day as far as Quality, construction and details.

deejaid

Silver Supporting Member
Late 70's/early 80's Greco's are great guitars. I had a 70's Ibanez Destroyer (Explorer) that was the twin of the Greco line of Explorers, made in the same plant, and it was sweet.

I think $1000 is a very fair price. I'd love to find a natural Ash one like my Ibanez.

27sauce

I´m thinking of buying this -82 greco Explorer, the problem is i´m not very familiar with greco pricing, they originally wanted $ 1400 for it and i´m now down to $ 1000 including shipping. I really want a natural mahogany explorer and i am prepared to pay a bit too much but not WAY too much, any thoughts/advice? For some reason i can´t add pics at the moment, working on it.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2r2rp04.jpg[/IMG]']http://i66.tinypic.com/2r2rp04.jpg[/IMG]']

These and V's are way cooler and more valuable than Les Pauls. Apples to Explorers.

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
Can you all explain to me the difference between this and a new epiphone Korina explorer?

Why is this 2x desirable..? I see a cool guitar but also one built in an off-brand Asian factory, poly finish and probably pickups/electronics that need replacing..?

vintagelove

I have a Greco I prefer to the Gibson I had.

In fact a gentleman just came over and played it, he's playing it, while I'm telling him it's a Greco. It didn't click until after he put it down, he was like that was a Greco?

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Can you all explain to me the difference between this and a new epiphone Korina explorer?

Why is this 2x desirable..? I see a cool guitar but also one built in an off-brand Asian factory, poly finish and probably pickups/electronics that need replacing..?

Early 80s Fuji Gen Gakki product no longer considered off brand, but rather that period of MIJ production a real peak of quality.

Arewenotmen?

Totally fair price in my book, especially shipped. In general, early 80s Grecos are more highly regarded than examples from the 70's. I'd buy it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom