Greco Explorer?

Bar-B-Kill

Was wondering if anyone out there can tell me if the Greco Explorer is basically the same as an Ibanez Destroyer? I have had some interest in the early Destroyers, but have never heard of the Greco. Are they decent gutiars? Any info would be great!

woof*

I have heard, but don't know for 100% fact..that they were made in the same factory..if your looking at an older Greco. Post a pic and I can tell you more.
I owned #Q79 of the Ibanez version, bought it brand new in 73 or so. I played the hell out of that guitar for around a decade, and really loved the sound of it. Nice medium neck, lightweight but great tone and sustain out of those Super 70 pickups.
Really wish I hadn't let it go in the early 90's.

DonW

Velocity Town Angel
Double Platinum Member
I've had extended experience with Greco guitars though not the Explorer you speak of. Mine were late 70's and I had an 80's model too, great guitars. Sold one to a buddy then missed it terribly & he wouldn't go for my buy back.

They're well made, great sounding and playing guitar. That's always subject to change as you likely know if it passes through unknowledgeable, low skilled hands where maintenance is F'ed up to the nth degree.

rastus

Greco is the same as Ibanez . Ibanez is a name that was used to export to the US. Greco was the domestic name. The guitars are the same spec. Most Ibanez models had a Greco counterpart. I owned a Greco iceman that was pretty cool for several years.

chucke99

Greco is the same as Ibanez . Ibanez is a name that was used to export to the US. Greco was the domestic name. The guitars are the same spec. Most Ibanez models had a Greco counterpart. I owned a Greco iceman that was pretty cool for several years.

Greco and Ibanez came out of the same factory, Fujigen, but were not sold by the same company. Greco is a brand of Kanda Shokai and Ibanez is a brand of Hoshino Gakki.

But yes, a 1970s "Korina" Destroyer, whether Greco or Ibanez, is going to be the exact, identical guitar. The pickups will be branded differently, but will be very close in terms of sound also.

serial

Not the same company as stated above. I've owned 70s Ibanez faux korina Destroyers and just recently sold my 78 Greco. There was no difference-serial numbers are even the same. Pickups were different though.

All were REALLY nice guitars. The 75 Destroyer I sold years ago is one of a small few gear regrets. I still have a 78 Greco EX-800 that is a copy of Rick Nielsen's Hamer #0000. My guitar was made the same month that Cheap trick waz over there recording the 'Budokan' album-talk about working fast, those guyscoud crank out a near dead-nuts copy in no time!

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
Great info here guys. I'm glad I read the replies, because I had wondered about Greco vs. Ibanez. I saw an absolutely killer model called the Greco Mirage, which was a flame top Iceman. Not sure how/where to track one down, but it really got my attention. Where does one buy Greco guitars?

Smakutus

I still have a 78 Greco EX-800 that is a copy of Rick Nielsen's Hamer #0000. My guitar was made the same month that Cheap trick waz over there recording the 'Budokan' album-talk about working fast, those guyscoud crank out a near dead-nuts copy in no time!

I've never seen this Steve.. can you post a photo?

Thanks,
Jeff

Smakutus

I got a question....are the Greco explorers with the bolt on necks any good?

They can be.. I have a 77 bolt on Starfield (some connection with Ibanez and the factory they are made in) Flying V which is a really nice playing and sounding guitar.. Lots of people like the bolt on LP's they made too..

Jeff

Lukeling

This is my 77 Greco EX 800- great guitar, has a thin neck (which I don't mind), the pickups are not really to my taste (been meaning to swap some out to hear the difference). Build quality is exceptional.

Last edited:

serial

I've never seen this Steve.. can you post a photo?

Thanks,
Jeff

They got the knobs right-even the octave dot spacing too! The pickups (doubke cream and covered) are like Rick's was in '78. This one is cherryburst, but they did it in the correct browner burst and black. I'll probably have this refinished like Rick's.

image_zps4f9afab9.jpg

cmatthes

I own and play bolt on guitars regularly and dig them. I have never played a bolt neck Explorer style that was worth a damn.

Smakutus

They got the knobs right-even the octave dot spacing too! The pickups (doubke cream and covered) are like Rick's was in '78. This one is cherryburst, but they did it in the correct browner burst and black. I'll probably have this refinished like Rick's.

image_zps4f9afab9.jpg

Don't refin it.. Sell it to me. <g>

Thanks,
Jeff

Trending Topics

Top Bottom