Green Berets in my SF Fender Pro, 4 or 8 ohm load?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by revgsmall, Feb 6, 2008.

1. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I am going to try the economical and highly regarded, Green Berets in my SF Pro Reverb. I have the option of ordering 16 ohm or 8 ohm speakers, giving me an 8 ohm or 4 ohm load with the two 12's.

I don't want alot of volume, the Pro's are too loud for me as is, and I would prefer an early breakup. Is there an advantage to the 8 ohm vs. the 4 ohm load?

2. monstermike

monstermike Member

The Pro Reverb wants to see 4. Fenders are supposed to be tolerant of mismatches, but I wouldn't want to chance it as the main speaker load in the amp, so I'd go with 4.

3. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

thanks for the quick reply, my Pro went I don't know how long with one blown speaker and it never let on. It wasn't until one day I was trying some new amp/speaker combinations that I discovered that the speaker was not working. Of course me being a non-amp tech, I couldn't tell you what the amp was seeing with one working and one blown speaker.

4. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

5. AL30

AL30 Member

Monstermike is correct. Your Pro wants to see 4 ohm. So two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel will fit the bill. And yes, Fenders are usually tolerant of mismatches (I run my bassman into an 8 ohm cab) but since you've got the option - use the correct 4 ohm load.

If one of your speakers wasn't working your amp was probably seeing an 8 ohm load.

AL

6. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

Thanks guys, I'll go the 4 ohm route.