Green Rhino thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ollie S, May 19, 2011.

1. Ollie S

Ollie S Member

I run a Baja Tele into a Blackstar DUAL into a Blackstar HT-20 (2x2 V30s) and have been gassing for the Green Rhino. I want a low/medium crunch for chords/rhythm.How is she for single coils? I've heard mixed reviews on the reissue Way Huge stuff. Tempted to ditch the DUAL for a Rhino and an EQD Hoof.

Cheers

2. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

I thought the low/low-medium stuff out of the Rhino was great. Didn't sound so hot to me with the drive cranked, but if you're looking to use it more as a boost, you should be golden.

3. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Got a chance to try out the new GR re-issue last night. I liked it. Very flexible EQ. The bass cut/boost is very effective too. You can make sound really thick, or really thin.

4. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

I am really enjoying mine with both single coil and humbuckers. After playing, owning, trying so many pedals designed not to color your sound, the GR is kind of refreshing. I find it seems to excite the right frequencies in my signal. It cleans up fairly well, I like a touch of dirt. The mids are not a huge spike like many TS pedals and the mini eq's can be helpful. Big range in the tone knob.

5. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

personally, i prefer tubescreamers for more lead work, and something more transparent for rhythm parts. id suggest maybe a timmy, open road, or barber ltd, especially since i dont really think of screamers as crunchy, but more smooth

6. ronin4hire

ronin4hire Member

Bass boost is such a great idea on a TS clone.
    It's awesome for adding some mild crunch to a clean signal. I use both single coils and HBs but prefer singles with this one.

7. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Just got mine today and have only played it with a Tele so far. I'm very impressed. The bass boost mini knob has a huge impact on the tone. It gets much louder and beefier. I preferred the tone with output and gain on the high side. Ballsy tones using my bridge pickup. Classic TS tones are in there, but much more than just that.

8. GodinSession

GodinSession Member

I too have the green rhino and love it! I agree that the bass boost mini knob really gives the pedal lots of different tone options. Very cool. I play it through a blues Jr nos and it seems to be a perfect match. One thing I have found though is that the gain knob more or less maxes out at about 11:00. If I turn it any higher I really do not hear any difference. Do others with this pedal experience the same thing?

9. t.hendrix

t.hendrix Member

Rhino love all the way!!!

10. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Great pedal, plus 1 for me as well!

11. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Member

I just ordered one of these pedals after hearing many demos and positive reviews. I'll be sure to post a full length review on it but I think it will be everything I expected and more. It should be here by the end of the week.

12. davestrings11

davestrings11 Member

I just bought one today. I play through a dual rectifier mainly hard rock high gain stuff, but occasionally throw in some 90s and classic rock. I was using a cmatmods signa drive for my lead work on the 2nd channel, but could
    not use it for rythm stuff cause with the cmatmods it gets a bit thin. The green rhino tightens up the low end and adds rich and thick harmonic overtones. For the leads it's very smooth. I can get close to a Jerry cantrell lead sound.
    I'm not knocking cmatmods cause it's a great od pedal especially for country and
    classic rock, but if u use a high gain amp and want to tighten and fatten your sound then I recomend the green rhino even over most ts pedals

13. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Member

I just got mine yesterday and it's BY FAR the best low gain overdrive pedal I've ever used. Also the most Strat friendly drive pedal I've ever used. Definitely a steal at it's price and SO much better than an 808. Pairs nicely with my Wampler Paisley Drive and TS9. I still may get an 808 just to have but IMO the Green Rhino is better because of it's tone shaping options. I love the Green Rhino. It's the best Tubescreamer clone IMO.