Green Sovtek Big Muff?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by twoheadedboy, Jan 7, 2008.

1. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I've got a Green Sovtek Muff on the way. I have owned a black Sovtek muff and a newer NYC Reissue muff before. The black Sovtek was almost like a denser, thicker vintage Rat, while the USA Muff was incredibly loud and totally out of control. I loved both for different reasons. What can I expect from a Green sovtek? I'm hoping for something on the wild side.

2. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

Which green did you get? The early ones sound great, just like the silver/blue sovtek ones, but the later ones sound more like the black ones do. I guess I should say I prefer the earlier thin/tall font to the bubble letter versions, but you may like the razory distortion of the later green issue.

I liked my silver/blue and early greens even better than the 70's Lamb's Head and NYC versions. I hope you enjoy it.

3. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

What do the silver/blue muffs sound like in comparison to a black sovtek? Here's a picture of the one that is coming to me. It has some mods but the switches let you run it stock if you want.

[​IMG]

4. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

Cool, that's the version I like :)

It has been a while, but from what I remember, the black seemed a little more into distortion territory, whereas the silver was a bit warmer and smoother. I built a homemade one that was basically a silver/blue but with a tad more lower mids and a touch more gain (might reverse that one...it has way more than necessary).

What do your mods on that one do?

5. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

One of the switches lifts the resistors to two of the gain stages, apparently increasing the gain (variant of the Creamy Dreamer mod). The other is a mid cut/normal/boost switch. Not sure how useful the mods will be, because I usually run a muff with a post-distortion EQ anyway.

6. frankrangel

frankrangel Member

what did you pay it?

7. hbentley

hbentley Member

had one...very cool. best sounding muff i've had probably. the bypass wasn't very good, no power jack kind of sucked on a pedalboard, and it's huge.....but it sure sounded sweet.

8. MrSage

MrSage Member

It's actually really hard to generalize like that about these guys...

I've had maybe a dozen green muffs and they were all slightly different. Some of the early black ones were identical to the green ones in everything except color.

Bottom line is that you'll have to wait and play it to find out. Some of my favorite muffs have been greenies, but quality control was so haphazard with that era of Sovtek and individual components were swapped out so often that you can't say for sure until you've plugged in!

9. MrSage

MrSage Member

That's exactly why I started doing this:

www.voxblues.com/guitar/muff

:cool:

10. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Don't worry, it's one of the good ones. I just finished taking hours of **** from my bass player for selling that one to you twoheadedboy. Also, I changed none of the fundemental circuit for the mods. With each switch up it is pure bone stock.

Put it this way, if you aren't happy with it, PM me here or on GuitarsCanada.com and my bass player says he will buy it back. All that you will lose is the cost of shipping (about $10). Seriously, he says he trusts my judgement and he knows I needed a new speaker in my Ampeg badly, but he is pissed right now that I sold it. I'm gonna have to build one hell of a clone to get him off my ass.

To add even more to that. I sold it and my Mayo at the same time. The Mayo was actually the easier sell for me. It's a great pedal, but the Green Muff had better bass and a more interesting drive (especially with the gain boost switch on).

I agree with guys here saying the bypass is no good. I never changed that because I liked the feel of the big switch and my bass player's tone was actually better with the slight treble roll off, but you would do well to use it with a good buffer before the pedal to keep from losing to much on the high end.

Best of luck with the new toy. If CanadaPost keeps it's word, it should be on your doorstep Tuesday.

James aka LowWatt

11. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Hey James! I've always been curious to try one of the older green muffs, but I haven't been able to find a whole lot of info on the sound. That's why I started this thread. I'm definitely expecting to like the one coming from you, but it might be a little while until I can try it through a real amp. My amp will be in the shop for the next few days. As for the bypass, I don't really need it. I am using an old Traynor YGL-3 2x12 combo. It has two separate clean channels with separate inputs, so I set one channel to run dark and fat with fuzzes and ODs and the other one to run bright and spanky for clean sounds. I run the fuzz/OD chain into the dark channel, and plug straight into the bright channel, then use an A/B box to switch between the two signal chains/inputs.

12. RanaldoNecro

RanaldoNecro Member

Guys, I own a Green Muff and I seem to be getting volue loss...Is this natural?

Also, it seems that some one might have tampered with the settings at one stage...Are the big muffs you own similar to the Boss style of 0 at 7'o clock & 10 at 5 o'clock?

My Muff seems to have a mind of its own....Opinions and suggestions are welcome...

13. MrSage

MrSage Member

Yep, they usually sound great...just all different! I've only played one or two green muffs that I flat out didn't like, and I played more than a couple that I had trouble letting go of when it came time to send them back to their owners after a rehouse!

14. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

The two green muffs I've played have both been louder than most. If yours is quiet, check your batteries perhaps. They have a huge volume and punch loss on weak batteries.

Keep in mind that they shipped them with the controls pointing in all directions (i.e. if your volume is pointing straight up, it doesn't necessarily mean it' s turned up halfway), so you either need to open the case loosen the pots and sit them right and then retighten (which i did with mine and most do with theirs - no soldering just loosening and tightening bolts) or get used to the weird directions of the pots.

15. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

check this site out and you will feel you have even more to lok forward to. . . . . ”Red Army” / ”Civil War” MuffUsed by Gilmour in 1993-94.- The first Sovtek Muff went through a couple of changes from an ultra rare white box, to a green/gold and finally the more familiar blue/gray (“Civil War”). Sonically, it’s a mix of the ’71 “Triangle” and ’77 red/black Muffs with very fat lower end and pronounced mid range. Very similiar to the green Sovtek, - perhaps slightly smoother. A versatile pedal suitable for any Gilmour period between 1977 and present.Green MuffNever used by Gilmour.- Basically just an upgrade of the colour and graphics from the “Civil War” model. Both this green version and the “Civil War” model has a powerful character, only surpassed by the Cornish P-2. The tank like exterior makes it even more frightening!from www.gilmourish.com. . . . .enjoy

16. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

My best recommendation would be to listen to the Skreddy Mayo clips. The Green Russian Muff is definitely in the same ballpark, but not as tight and controlled. It's much woolier and wilder sounding, with a bigger bass and less defined high end.

Also, I know Dan from the Black Keys uses a lot of different fuzzes, but his tone on the early albums on songs like "Just Got to Be" and "Set You Free" sounds a lot like the fuzz on its way to you.

17. Eveready

Eveready Member

18. hybridrocknroll

hybridrocknroll Member

I've got a modded tall font and love it. Readjusted pots, replaced caps, upgraded the input/output jacks, added a true-bypass switch and 9v port. It's a freakin monster. If you listen to The Black Keys "I Got Mine" and "Your Touch," that's the tone it nails.

[​IMG]