Greenback speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Robert1950, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

"Celestion currently makes 2 different greenbacks, the Classic ($100) 25watt speaker and the Heritage ($200) 20watt speaker."

The thread on Scumbag cabs made me wonder about his. I was thinking a Marshall 1974x 18 watt style amp. Would a 1x12 Heritage 20 be enough or would a 2x12 work better. Think blues/blue-rock with '57 Classic pups on a semi hollowbody. I play for fun.

And while I think about, ... Sound. Combo or Head/Cab (and open or closed back)

2. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

One Heritage G12M would be enough, but 2 would give you better bass response.

3. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Not to derail the subject...but has anyone tried a Mojotone British Vintage Series 12" BV-25M ? I've heard they compare well to a Greenback but have more bass reponse. At $90 it's a nice deal.

4. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

The 20 watt speaker ($180 or so) is the one in the 1974X. It handles it. Like they've all said, though, don't expect a lot of low end. Scum man say H magnets do better in combos/open backs than M's.

5. Pentode

The 1974X does use the 20 watt Heritage, however, the 1974 X speaker has a specially treated (aged) cone to make it sound like an old speaker.

The Heritage G12M sounds just like a Grrenback purchased new in the 60's. In other words, it is not treated and you will have to break it in yourself.

6. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

While the Heritage is a better greenback than the reissue, I will add that I don't feel it's $100 more better.

7. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Check that out again. the 15 Ohm thing is part of the "aging" process. That's where the extra $80+ comes in. Same speaker

8. Pentode

My understanding is that while it is the same speaker as the Heritage G12M, the cone pulp is "aged" in the Marshall speaker, while in the Heritage it is not.

9. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

This statement is correct. The Marshall speaker is specially aged, the off the shelf Heritage is not.

guitar007 likes this.
  10. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

What's the source on that? I've read otherwise from a dealer site. I'm not challenging you, I'm researching.

11. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

You guys are right! The only difference, though is the cone material. According to the manual for the amp, the speaker was made exclusively for Marshall, but if you read up on the G12M 20 watt construction, it reads the same, except for the part about the paper. Thanks guys.

12. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

waxnsteel, this info is available on the Marshall site when you check on the 18 watt 1974X handwired combo. The Celestion Heritage 20w G12M is the same speaker WITHOUT the aging. You can check both the Celestion and Marshall sites to verify this, because I'm getting it from them

I don't mind challenges, no worries.