Greenback-Type Speakers in 2x12

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
just curious if you guys think M-type speakers (eg g12's, M65's, Creamback 65's, etc.) can still be great sounding in a 2x12.

forget about volume or wattage handling, just purely on tone...is the drop-off in tone from a 4x12 pretty significant??

lestera34

Silver Supporting Member
Bluesbreaker combos had 2 greenbacks I believe. Pretty classic tone there.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
as classic as it gets - i should have mentioned that i was also planning on using some higher-gain marshall type amps (friedmans, pt-100, etc), which i think is my main source of hesitation

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
I have a pair of Crossroads in my 1936 cab. I also have a set of Scumback M's and Creamback M's, but the most balanced sound to my questionable ear is the Crossroads. I have the other sets in my Splawn 4-12 where they compliment each other best, for me.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
are you running any higher gain amps thru the crossroads? i like the vintage clips ive heard with those speakers.

any comaprisons across the 3 you could offer?

thanks!

ac/dcfan87

I run a 2x12 with g12m Creambacks and they sound very good. Very warm speakers w bigger low end than greenbacks

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
best cab I've had was a 2x12 with Greenbacks.

I bought 2 gbs, and have an open-back cab coming later this week to hopefully replicate the sound.

Trotter

I run a 2x12 with g12m Creambacks and they sound very good. Very warm speakers w bigger low end than greenbacks

Same exact experience here.

I sold all my 4x12's...

my 2x12 with Creamback M's sound really big and makes me very happy :)

Last edited:

3 Mile Stone

I'd venture a guess to say more often than not, GB style speakers mostly end up in more 2X12 cabs that 4x12 cabs. Greenback variations and 2X12 cabs are a favorite combo of many.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
IMO 2x12 is the perfect compromise.
Closed back 2 M style speakers sound great.
Open back I like an H next to an M for more low end.

Mark Robinson

Platinum Supporting Member
As long as I can move it, load it, I'll stick with the 4 x 12" thanks. I've screwed around with a pair of 2 x 12" cabs for many years, closed, open back, slotted, all sorts of speakers, and the way the four speakers work together in the "B" cabinet sound enough different and better to my ear that I'm going down with the ship baby. Sticking with the big box unless I play a wedding or a tiny indoor gig with no room at all. I use master volume heads, and if needed I'll put a gig bag between two of my speakers and the vocal mics. It's way different to my ears, 4 versus 2. Still have not heard a 2 x12" that was close enough.

I will say the closest was a Germino 2 x 12" with G-12H-30 speakers in it, but it was almost as large as my straight cab, just a touch shorter and weighed within 20 lbs it seemed, wheels a must etc. .

electricfactory

Gold Supporting Member
Just curious, what type of guitar pickups are you packing, humbucker or single coil ? And the rest of you guys too, what is your go-to guitar/ pickup combination of choice ?

I have a pair of Crossroads in my 1936 cab. I also have a set of Scumback M's and Creamback M's, but the most balanced sound to my questionable ear is the Crossroads. I have the other sets in my Splawn 4-12 where they compliment each other best, for me.

CowTipton

Gold Supporting Member
My 2266 combo is 2x12 with Celestion G12C 25 Watt greenbacks.
It sounds pretty damn amazing to my ears.

I prefer lower/medium output humbuckers in high dynamic range (HDR) and single coils in LDR for classic rock sounds.

Trending Topics