greenback vs. vintage 30 12"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by j2b4o, Dec 21, 2009.

1. j2b4o

j2b4o Member

trying to decide between the 2 for a speaker upgrade. I like shimmery chimey cleans (fender style)and high gain mesa sounds so which would be best suited for that application in a class a tube amp powered by 2 12AX7 preamp tubes and 1 el84 output tube.

thanks!

2. James BCM

James BCM Gold Supporting Member

Then the question would be can you deal with the mid hump and/or high end buzz that comes with V30's?

V30's cut through a mix better than any speaker made, but I recently tested speakers for Jensen Corp., and their Electric Lightning does everything a V30 can but without any of the above issues.

Diamond Amplification is building me a 2 x 12" cab for one of my personal rigs right now. I'm having G12 H30's installed versus normal supply of V30's. I already have an Electric Lightning cab or I'd just put them in.

G12 H30's are a great speaker.

LB
    BCM

3. j2b4o

j2b4o Member

so the g12 H30's would be best for my application?
    better than greenbacks(alot of praise on internet for these)

does anyone know what speaker comes closest to the speaker in say a mesa 5:25???

4. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

5. gulliver

gulliver Member

I think the CL80 would be a better choice than a V30, more fendery highs and killer high gain rhythm tones.
    They both have a softer more puffy crunch IMHO.

G12H30s are great speakers, were a little too peaky in the highs for me, though. Scumback H75 LHDCs will give you the crunch of a G12H30 with voicing more in the ball park of a greenback RI.

Greenback RIs have a hendrixy vintage vibe with SC PUs IMHO and do high gain very well ... but not with super deep bass like newer type speakers.

6. Guitar_Dude

Guitar_Dude Member

I'm only familiar with the Celestion speakers - I can't speak for WGS or scumback speakers.

For shimmering cleans, my favorite is the G12H-30 70th. These speakers can do a real mean high gain tone as well. If you're going for a Mesa style tone. the V30 might be better suited to your application.

7. j2b4o

j2b4o Member

i do use single coils religiously and I feel like many newer speakers have a little too much bass and it muddys it up a bit. so maybe the greenbacks would be a good choise unless the scumback's sound better?
    so are the scumbacks just more crunchy than the grenbacks?
    or is there more of a difference?

8. j2b4o

j2b4o Member

I like the mesa speakers because they can do the crunch and smooth gain.

9. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I was using a V30 with my Hot rod deluxe and its a good speaker but didnt care for its clean tones that much, now I am using a Eminence Private Jack which is a Green back clone (so they say!) But I like it a lot more than the V30 the PJ has a better top end for keeping some Fender sparkle and still has a tight low end and cutting mids it sounds great with OD or heavy distortion!.

10. neu18

neu18 Member

if you have a 2x12 just get one of each!

11. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

I'm thinking about changing the G12H30's in my 4x12 with the ET65's...do you have any experience with those? They're supposed to be like a 65 watt Greenback. They would be paired with two V30's. I'm a bit skeptical of the quality though, because their speakers are significantly less expensive than Celestions.

12. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

Really like those as well!!! It's their version of Celestions G12-65. I guess some would say it has some similarities to a 65 W Greenback (if one existed)... Like the G12-65, it has the highs rolled off a bit, a very pleasing midrange and a nice bass response. I find it works great for the high-gain stuff as well as the Dumble sound.

Don't be fooled by the price. They are a high quailty speaker for sure. Some boutique builders have begun using their speakers - Victoria amps, Landry amplification, etc... Landry puts the ET65's in his 4x12 that matches up with his LS100 head ($2850).

http://landryamps.com/?page_id=85

13. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

I have an Avatar 2x12 closed back with this exact configuration. I like how it sounds with a Z Route 66. $.02
    ;)

14. gulliver

gulliver Member

The H75 LHDCs are a little more crunchy than the greenback RIs, as H speakers in general have that sharp AC/DC crunch tone. Greenback RIs have more of a squashy crunch IMHO, a little different sound but in the same general ballpark. Their voicing is similar, but the Greenback is more vintagey sounding IMHO with a little more of a nasal, narrow voicing, where the H is more open and thus more modern sounding IMHO. Greenbacks have more of a bouncy bass as well, H speaker are generally more firm there, with their larger magnet. Tone wise, it's a half dozen one 6 another, but the Scumback comes in 65 watts, which means you don't need a 4x12 for a 50 watt tube amp ... as you should have with the 25 watt greenbacks ... to be safe.

I look at H75 LHDCs as a good upgrade to a greenback RI ... and ironically feel the Scumback M75 is quite different than the Greenback RI because of it's more flat, dark voicing ... but it still shares the bouncy bass and squashy greenback vibe. IMHO the M75 does have more shimmer for SC, but a lot of bass and a bit dark for high gain. For more shimmer, you might also look into the H75 w/o the large dust cap ... I've never tried one.

15. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Thanks for the info, Anthony. I'm really looking for a speaker that has warmth, a rich midrange and good bass response with a smooth high end (unlike the G12h30 which I don't like high end of).

16. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Member

Another thing to consider is with your low wattage amp, you might not want a low efficiency speaker like the greenback - unless you want really low volume. The V30 or G12H30 are both highly efficient (100db) so you'll get more volume and bass from these speakers.

17. Keld

Keld Member

I've preferred the G12M over V30's in most applications. However, with the Komet Connie, an el84 amp, I've found that the v30's (in an Orange 2x12) sound much smoother and more full than the G12M (in a Marshall 1960ax 4x12). In this application, the high end of the greenbacks is too gritty - I was surprised, but I've listened to them enough that the V30 works better in this situation.

I'm thinking of adding the V30's to the 4x12 because that cab is easier to move around than the 2x12 and I like the ability to point speakers to my ears.

18. Ian

Ian Member

I have GB's in my 4x12, and I love them with my Blankenship amp.

However, with my Naylor SD-60, the GB's are too "round" sounding.....there's no bite to it. I think the Naylor is "dark" sounding amp, so the V30's upper end emphasis works better with the darker-sounding amp.

I think you need to make the choice based on the specific amps you are using....

Cheers

19. j2b4o

j2b4o Member

my combo is only a 1x12 but thanks

20. j2b4o

j2b4o Member

the amp is quite dark so you may have something with the v30 or clones this is a tricky choise