Greenbacks: High gain?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Myron Stratis, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Anybody using Celestion Greenbacks (chinese) in their 2x12's with a high gain amp-setup? I am interested in the rhythm distorted tones: Is there enough articulation and tightness or mush city?

I am asking because the v30-cl80 combination in my THD 2x12 cab sounds great but I get TERRIBLE cone cry with the v30 and my Germino Club 40 or Flexi and I think that I l would like to try some lower wattage speakers. If I switch to Greenbacks will I get enough articulation and punchiness with my OD pedals/preamp gain?

2. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I use greenbacks exclusively for rock and up to 80's rock. The death metal players may want to choose a different speaker. The greenback looses control at higher volumes and doesn't respond as fast as a vintage 30.

3. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Ehh...I have 'em in my Wizard 4x12. they don't suck, but they're not "me". They can't really handle what the Wizard is dealing out.

4. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I don't like Greenbacks at really high 'preampy ' gain at all.. They're too mushy for me . Others' opinions differ.. BUT it also is based on how loud you play and what others are considering 'hi-gain' . Also I have mid 70's Creambacks(Same as Gb's) and have had a few of the 90's RI's and I prefer my old ones but still don't like them with hi-gain.. They excel at CRUNCH to me. Good luck

ERIC

5. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I'd suggest a 2x12 with G12H30's they still don't handle super high gain as well as more efficiant, higher wattage speakers do, but they don't crap out like Greenbacks (especially in the low-end, so muddy its crazy, but I don't mind that tone for just leads, not rhythm though) and in my PERSONAL experience (although it is limited) I've had less issues of cone cry with G12H30's than I have had with Green backs.

If I'm wrong, correct me, but don't you usually want a more efficiant, higher wattage speaker to conteract the possibility of cone cry with high volumes and high gain?

-TJK

6. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Yes that is correct (theoritically speaking) but when I push a little my 2x12 cab (CL80-V30) with my 50 watt Germino the V30 gives me this harmonizer-like cone cry! (And keep in mind that it is a 50 watt amp in a 120 watt cab!!!!)

I can understand that V30's are great with amps that have preamp-based gain, if you push your power amp with a non master volume amp, V30's = instant harmonizer... I know that Greenbacks are less prone to cone cry than V30's, I just don't know about their flubby low-end...

7. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

See... and I had that exact same problem with a 14watt amp into an open back cab with a Greenback in it... the minute I pushed it, instant harmonizer, and then after that, I even started getting it on my clean tones unless I turned the bass way down. Not sure how much different it would be in a closed back cab though.

Greg has no problem running a LoVo Lead 50 into one of his oversized 2x12 with Greenbacks though, thats his prefered gig rig... so you might have no problems at all!

-TJK

8. ericb

Taron, your posts on this thread are on the money (in my experience too) ,except you guys both are posting as if each gb or v30 would give conecry in the same situation. I have loads and loads of speakers here that I've accumulated over my years of being a hopeless gearslut ,and that's just not true. Some v30's will give conecry , some won't. Som gb's will , some won't.. I just finished cranking 1 of my THD amps thru a single Eminence Governor and it has conecry for sure.. Some others won't... It's just how well the speakers are made if you ask me! I have LOADS of speakers that don't have it and a few that do .

ERIC

9. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Great info Eric, thanks! I've read somewhere that if you loosen a little the screws that hold the speaker may help with the cone cry issue. Have you ever experience something like this? Also if a speaker has that double note in an open back, will it have it too in a different cab?

10. ericb

All of my speakers with conecry have had it in any cabinet, and with any varied pressure on the screws. I read SO MANY opinions on this stuff on the internet, but the only 1 I can count on is my own as it's my own real experience. Some people say it's the level of power amp distortion , some say the tightness of the screws , some say open -backed vs . closed,etc but for me it's been this: IF the speaker has it , it has it. It's a defect to me.

I have LOADS of speakers that don't so that's a good thing but I am bummed that it's a guessing game these days!! Best of luck . ERIC

11. JPenn

JPenn Member

How about the G1265's, aren't those supposed to be kind of a higher powered GB? Maybe the Tonespotters would be good?

12. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I don't really slam my preamp so much with the Wiz...I open up the power section and dial the pre in to taste. i can't stand the sound of preamp distortion in most amps. An amp sounds best to me when it's opened up and the tubes are breathing fire :D

That said, Greenbacks are still not my thing...at least with the Wizard. Listening to this amp through greenbacks is like listening to a conversation through a wall. There's a ton of tone in the Modern Classic that never makes it past the greenbacks. I would probably not mind them with a lesser amp.

13. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

I think Greenbacks are just the ticket for Greg's amps if you want crunch distortion. Even with pedals you get plenty of articulation. I agree, V30s are great with preamp gain amps, but with a Club 40, I believe you'll enjoy the tone of the amp cranked even more with greenbacks. I actually like their compression. V30s are harsh to me with cranked non-master volume amps.

14. The Barber

The Barber Member

I have Green backs in my Germino Classic 45 open back combo. I have used an AB switch between its Brit GB's and an Avatar 2x12 with V30's, and a Marshal 4x12 with only 2 GB's in it. I like the GBs the best, they are more "organic" if you will. I did like the V30's for creamier sounding Allman bro's gain. I am getting cone cry from the GB's when I have the amp up and over around 6. Unfortunately thats where it sounds best without pedals.
    I agree with ericb above, if the speaker has it, it has it. I totally love the sound of the germino through the gb's and will try running it through an extra 2x12 to soak up some of the extra brunt of the amp.

15. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

16. rockon1

rockon1 Member

How does the Classic Lead 80 sound alone? Maybe you might want to consider just getting another one.

17. hipfan

hipfan Member

Just got done pushing a couple of Weber's G12-65 copies (mine have heavier 50 ounce magnets though) with a 50 watt DST amp, and they certainly dish up some Greenback flavored crunch. As John says for G12-65's, they're tighter than Greenbacks and hold their stuff together much farther up the volume knob.

For a 2x12, however, I certainly like the 50 ouncers better than the 30/35 ounce models. Better bass handling. The smaller magnet ones do sound great in a 4x12 though.