1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

greenbaks vs v30's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kaiser, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

In a 212 cab, which one would use and why?? what genre you play. Ohh, and you use some effects?

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

What kind of music are you playing?

The speakers are both great, but different applications.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

I play 90's rock, some call it grunge alternative, some songs have low gain od's, and other have high gain dists, and some have fuzz with a little modulation.

I'm deciding between two 212 cabs loaded with said speakers respectively.

4. somedude

somedude Member

More into the sludgy end like Soundgarden and Alice in Chains, or more into the lighter end like Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins?

Also, how many watts does your amp put out?

5. George H

George H Member

My favorite 2X12 combination is a V30 & a G12H30. I have a couple of
    cabinets w/ this combination & I'm very pleased w/ the results.

I think these speakers compliment each other & seem to have a smooth,
    gradual breakup that I prefer. Plus, they cover a wide tonal spectrum.

GH:)

6. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

On the button here.

Given what you play, I'd get V30's (if you're only getting one type of speaker).

YMMV.

7. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I used a 2x12 greenback cab playing mostly rockier jam band stuff with a 50 watt el 34 marshall type head. I loved that cab, it sounded great, and I mainly used a blues driver or a fulldrive. I love greenbacks.

8. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

The speakers in my DC30 are a Vintage 30 and "Matchless Design 25". . .I think it's some kind of lightly doped Greenback, though I couldn't be sure.

I just ordered a 2 X 12 from Avatar with 2 G12H30's in it, and I'm probably going to swap out one of them for a Celestion Blue.

I think mixing and matching speakers in a 2 X 12 box really add to the versatility of the rig.

9. robbieboyette

robbieboyette Member

I always try to keep the same speakers and not mix them. Though I read about a lot of really good cabs that do just that. I use a Bogner cab 4X12 loaded with Greenbacks and it sounds great. But I'm sure that vintage 30's would sound great too. BTW, the reason I don't endorse the use of mixing speakers in a guitar cab is that once you get your amp to sound good...then how are you gonna mic it up for the P.A.???? Which speaker are you gonna mic? I guess you could use up 2 channels of your mixer and mic 2 speakers in the cab with the exact same kind of mic and with the exact same settings...but with close mic'ing I wonder if the different tonal characteristics of the speakers would truly be captured since there is probably some sort of frequency overlap and other physical things that contribute to the mixed speaker sound to begin with.
    So just to keep it nice and simple...I use the Greenbacks and one microphone and one channel.

10. somedude

somedude Member

- I forgot to add -

I play grunge/sludge/doom....sorta on the Soundgarden end of things I guess. I use V30s.

11. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I've got a 2x12 with a Greenback aand a V30, sounds great! The Greenback is more a vintage "Rock" tone and the V30 is a bit more refined and versitile. I use that cab with a couple of amps, usuall my Sewell TexaPlex, or Matchless C-30, and sometimes as an extension cab for my BF Deluxe. That cab sounds great with all of them, plus I can mic a specific speaker depending on the tone I want.

12. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I a/b both speakers in 412s recently. The head was an Avenger. The greenies have a very open sound with a broad range. The V30s were more middle minded not as tonally broad with great drive. I ended up getting the 412 greenback cab because I found one for $750 brand new. I would love and plan to have a V30 cab along with my favorite 75 watter cab one day.

13. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I love both speakers, it just depends on what amp and tone I am going for.

14. BlackBart

BlackBart Member

I have recently started playing thru 2 2x12 cabs, one is greenies (Voodoo Amps) and the other is V30s (Mesa Horizontal). The tone is very satisifying.

15. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I play mostly blues and roots stuff. Have not heard these together, but separately I really like the greenbacks, cannot warm up to the V30s. The greenies have lots of volume, balance and warmth. Just an all around great speaker. Had one in a DRII and loved it. Every V30 I've tried has sound too midrangy, sort of flat by comparison. Only heard any of these in 1x12 format, so that's a big difference right there from how you'll be using them.

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

more into the lighter end like PJ and SP.

A 30 watts head

17. somedude

somedude Member

I was hoping you'd say the heavy stuff, 'cause then it's V30 for sure.

For the lighter stuff either will work, and I'm pretty sure that either used both. I suppose that this goes without saying, but if you can try both.