• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Greendale

fredgarvin

A bit of a late thread, but I'm listening to Young's concept album, and the multimedia artistic vision that is Greendale. It's no surprise to me that this album/movie/comic slipped under the radar somewhat, it obviously has a groundswell and a fan base though. It's been interesting to see the evolution of his concept as it has grown over several years. I'm not a comic guy but it might be fun to pick it up. I doubt I would want the film, it seems a bit much of a good thing.

The contemporary themes hit dead center, but you could easily meld it into the ethos of the 70's. "Living in the Summer of Love".

It must have shocked a lot of people that went to the Greendale shows and were not treated to their favorite Crazy Horse tunes.

dangerine49

I'm still pissed about that "Greendale" tour. I spent a lot of money for tickets to see Neil Young and Crazy Horse with my wife and another couple at Jones Beach. That performance was painful to watch with about three or four regular NY tunes at the end of the show. I was especially pissed to find out that toward the end of that tour, they abandoned the Greendale **** and performed a more traditional NY+CH set.

Rockinrob86

Silver Supporting Member
I love this album, and it has only become more true and more important as time has gone on. All of the issues brought up are more relevant than ever.

Awesome album

I'm still pissed about that "Greendale" tour. I spent a lot of money for tickets to see Neil Young and Crazy Horse with my wife and another couple at Jones Beach. That performance was painful to watch with about three or four regular NY tunes at the end of the show. I was especially pissed to find out that toward the end of that tour, they abandoned the Greendale **** and performed a more traditional NY+CH set.
I can understand your disappointment, but it seemed pretty clear to me at the time that he was performing Greendale at the shows on the tour. It wasn't a bait and switch or anything. Before it was released, he even went out and did some solo shows performing it beginning to end.

I love this album, and it has only become more true and more important as time has gone on. All of the issues brought up are more relevant than ever.

Awesome album
Well it was only made about ten years ago. Did you expect those problems would go away? Hell, After The Gold Rush is as relevant as ever....

I haven't listened to it for a while, thanks for the reminder, I'll have to give it a listen this weekend.

DaGlenster

I attended a Greendale show in Los Angeles and really enjoyed it. The play stuff was a bit weird (maybe lame would be a better word) at times but the songs were surprisingly good. And at the end of the play Crazy Horse came out and played all the standard hits. I remember Neil played goldtop with P90's and a wrap-around and it sounded amazing.
I was not really sure of what to expect going in to the show but was really surprised and loved that show, Neil Young at his best was what I remember.

thewalkingboss

Silver Supporting Member
Me too. Saw it at MSG. I have no problem with doing your entire new album, but make that "set 1" and come out afterward and do at least 10 songs for "set 2". We got Greendale and 4 more songs. That was just lazy.

dangerine49

I can understand your disappointment, but it seemed pretty clear to me at the time that he was performing Greendale at the shows on the tour. It wasn't a bait and switch or anything. Before it was released, he even went out and did some solo shows performing it beginning to end.
Actually, no. When I bought the tickets it was billed as Neil Young and Crazy Horse. I only found out later that it was a "Greendale" tour.

fredgarvin

Carmichael, you a$$hole. For one year nobody parked in Carmichael's space. That's a real tune.

Rockinrob86

Silver Supporting Member
Well it was only made about ten years ago. Did you expect those problems would go away? Hell, After The Gold Rush is as relevant as ever....

I haven't listened to it for a while, thanks for the reminder, I'll have to give it a listen this weekend.

Not that I expected the problems to go away, but I think that when the album came out they were bubbling more in the background or not nearly as bad as they are now. I thought it was bad when the album came out, but on all fronts (Media, drones, the right to be anonymous, celebrity culture, 24/7 news cycle, etc) it has become much worse.

Powderfinger

Platinum Supporting Member
Love the album. Love the way it sounds. Love the playing. Enjoyed seeing it live even though I too was not expecting it.

Rockinrob86

Silver Supporting Member
Actually, no. When I bought the tickets it was billed as Neil Young and Crazy Horse. I only found out later that it was a "Greendale" tour.

My thing with this is that Greendale is ESSENTIAL NY&CH. It is basically an album length CH two chord groove! The jamming on this is as majestic and paint on canvas like as Cortez or Like a Hurricane. "Sun Green" is intense! Plus, I think this record incorporates a more bluesy vibe than other CH records.

I was 17 when Greendale came out and my family moved to tampa a week after he played here. I had just started to be a NY fan that summer, and by fall I was obsessed! I wish I could've seen a Greendale show, if only to see what my reaction would've been. I think I would've been lost in the music and really loved it, but you don't really know unless you were there.

I can't wait to see NY&CH for the first time in Tuscaloosa next month!!!!!!

I will never forget going to the Polaris Amphitheater to see Greendale with my dad, it was an awesome, awesome time! Loved every bit of it, and I still think it is a brilliant album to this day.

Lotis

Gold Supporting Member
Saw the show, I love this raw, honest, real music from a real artist.

Awesome album
I always do my due diligence with Neil.

These tours are not copies of one another; you may go this year, not the next.

I've seen a wide variety of Neil shows and I would say, the Crazy Horse shows were the most predictable, not always the most treasured then or later.

Love watching Neil at a Jazz Fest type setting, that's a cheap date. I sure miss Ben.

++

The only tickets to Neil that were a bust were some we got, and we couldn't realistically make it to the show without major pain; so we sent the tickets to some close people and the weather was inclement and they didn't use them. Otherwise, from the $ 3.00 seat on my 1st Springfield show on, I'm a happy customer.

Trending Topics