Greer burning goat or bogner wessex

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by leighianson, Apr 2, 2015.

1. leighianson

leighianson Supporting Member

Hi all, I'm in need of a second stage od, and was hoping to get some opinions on the greer burning goat and bogner wessex. My first stage is a greer lightspeed which I love and I've previously thought about the southland but the clips just don't grab me, it seems a bit raspy.

I play a Suhr tele through mainly a Carr rambler

Thanks

2. leighianson

Anyone? I have a deal about to go through on a wessex so I may end up with both, wife permitting.

3. parkhill

parkhill Member

I know nothing of the Wessex. The burning goat is my favorite overdrive though. That's probably not much help since I can't compare the two. It's hard to go wrong with the goat though.

4. gtrplr71

gtrplr71 Supporting Member

You will not regret the wessex it's money all the way!

5. leighianson

Thanks guys, although it's 1 all at the moment so more opinions are very welcome.

6. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

The Burning Goat is a great OD and it pairs nicely with rhe Lightspeed. I don't know the Wessex.

[not sure what you're going for]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  7. Backwards Logic

Backwards Logic Member

I just got the Wessex about a week ago and while I'm still in the honeymoon phase, the pedal absolutely kills. Fattens everything up without overdoing or losing anything, dead silent, and most of all a ton of fun to play. Right now I've been using my 335 with it and am blown away - it's the real deal.

8. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I think the Wessex is good, but Rockbox Boiling Point is more articulate and present, and the Caroline Haymaker is a little more ... butch. All three are very similar. Sadly, I can't speak to the Greer. -E

9. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

The Wessex isn't half bad. I got to try one out the other day. It is loud, as in: tons of headroom. Definitely beefs up single coils, but without getting too aggressive. The gain gets hot, but not unruly. I'd consider it low-medium. But...I didn't like it $230 worth. It sounded sorta...stiff, to me.

The BG sounds a little edgier to me in demos at Ieast.