1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Greer Lightspeed OD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by muzacman, Oct 2, 2013.

1. OverDrivenGtr

OverDrivenGtr Supporting Member

I personally think it would sound nice through a Tweed based amp. I find the Lightspeed to be hyped in the lows and highs, causing the flat midrange to sound scooped. I think a middy Tweed amp that is already cooking a bit would balance well with an OD that doesn't focus so much on the mids already.

Flatscan and roknfnrol like this.
  2. TJT79

TJT79 Member

Looks good, although there are some pretty varied opinions! Scooped, flat, bottom-heavy....

3. Beyondless

Beyondless Member

This is one I would still like to try. I have and love Nick's Moonshot treble booster and would love to feel what it's like to have the two of them stacked.
    I feel like the Lightspeed could be the pedal which bumps the Soul Food off the board.

4. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

I can understand the responses regarding bottom end. It sounds huge. My Electra Dyne is pretty bass heavy as is, so I was worried the lightspeed might be too much, but it’s not overwhelming at all. Sounds really good actually. I’ll get to gig it Friday night so I’ll know then if it’s too much or just right.

5. Z Tone

Z Tone Member

I have the Lightspeed and I don’t think it is bass heavy at all.

6. amdowell

With my tele, I don’t really either, but with my PRS, it blooms and sounds enormous. I wouldn’t say “bass heavy.” It’s just that it sounds big and full.

7. Warmy

Warmy Member

The Greer Lightspeed is the only pedal I sold within two days of buying it.

As others have said, the bottom is very boomy with my rig; Germino amps with M and H Celestions.

Red Snapper, Timmy, Blue Note and Gain Changer > Lightspeed.

8. amdowell

I also have a Gain Changer SR. Excellent pedal; one of my favorites. Next to the Lightspeed, it can sound similar, but is so much more versatile. I haven’t spent more than a few hours with the Lightspeed, so the verdict is still out, but initially I really enjoy how it sounds. Going to run it through its paces Friday night and see if it’ll stay.

9. TimH

TimH Supporting Member

Gosh people toss the word "plexi" around liberally. I just sold my LS and while it's an exceptional pedal, it's EQ curve doesn't resemble a plexi in any way. It gains up your DR pleasantly I'm sure...but not every medium gain sound is similar to a plexi.

10. thebluesman666

thebluesman666 Member

Hey guys, here's my impression about the GREER - Lightspeed.

There's alot of HYPE and RAVE about this pedal !
    I've been fooled with Hype in the last years especially reading treads or posts on TGP.

My impression so far are that the LS is a good sounding pedal no doubt about that, it's very dynamic and respond well to your picking intensity (hand) and your volume knob.
    The pedal voice is somewhat Bassy and the FREQ. knob is bright ! It's doesn't have a Mid Hump.
    I find myself having to roll the tone knob down when using a guitar equipped with single coils pups.
    The LS really shine with Humbuckers pups. Haven't tried it with P90 but I would be intrigued to hear the results.

Lately I've been torned between a JRAD Blue Note (Tour) and the GREER - Lightspeed for the LOW to MED OD spot on my board. I'm using a PT Metro 20, so I have to choose wisely.Right now I've decided to keep the LS on the board and I'm going to give it another try.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Gallery likes this.
  11. Gus Bus

Gus Bus Supporting Member

Just sent back my lightspeed yesterday. It sounds probably the most articulate and beautifully round and clear voice out if the 4 low gainers I ran through my vibrolux with pafs last week. But it's too nice for me. I can see why it's huge in Nashville. Very polished. But in my band context the lack of mids caused me to have to turn up the tone knob in order for it to cut and it got a bit too trebly and without compression. The lightspeed simply just didn't work for me.

It went up against an shod and a Westwood, with the Westwood agreeing with my picking dynamics the most. Funny enough my blue note pro is being repaired at the moment and will most likely remain on my board.

12. 6Tones

6Tones Member

Got one today,my 2cents
    It adds a touch extra bass its not a Flat EQ pedal . It can be a bright sounding pedal ..good and bad depending on your setup.
    It is very open sounding making my KOT a bit muffled n comparison .
    I like it ..but it gets alittle fuzzy with the gain past 1 o clock ,bass notes tend to lose alittle definition .
    Overall a great LOW gainer .