Greer Lightspeed vs Snouse Blackbox 2

slowth

the lightspeed has been my always on, Low gain, base Overdrive. It's been on my board 3 years.

Tempted at the BB2 by snouse, but I'm wondering what difference I'd be getting tone wise between the 2.

Would they compete for the same spot or as as a complementary stack?

Thanks guys!

tideluva

I had the Lightspeed and I really liked it (had one for about a year) but worked with John Collocia with the Id to create the custom and it knocked it off of my board as I could make the Id Custom sound just like it with the same dynamics [disclosure - I have no dog in the hunt regarding the sales of the Id, just a big fan]. Now fast forward to today where I have the Id and the BB2 and it is a perfect marriage. The Id handles my medium gain tones and the BB2 handles my lower gain and stacked they are awesome.
So, if you are set on the Lightspeed (and justifiably so) it would not be redundant.
Full disclosure the BB2 does not have the same pick dynamics that the Lightspeed has.

Hope this helps.

slowth

It does!

And since you have both sounds in you head, what differences are you hearing?

They sound completely different. I have both, and they don't really compete but if I had them both on a board I would likely set the BB2 to higher gain mode.

slowth

Then the BB2 might compete with the little Samson then?

Haven't heard many comments on BB2 on high gain mode. Seems all love it Low gain.

They sound completely different. I have both, and they don't really compete but if I had them both on a board I would likely set the BB2 to higher gain mode.

mysterious1s

Then the BB2 might compete with the little Samson then?

Haven't heard many comments on BB2 on high gain mode. Seems all love it Low gain.
I own the original BB and it sounds nothing like the Little Samson. Two completely different pedals.

HansVee

I'm late to the party, but here's my two cents...

I own both the Lightspeed and the Blackbox 2, and with some tweaking I can get them sounding pretty much the same. But compared to my favorite Lightspeed setting (gain & volume at noon, tone at 1) the BB2 has a fatter bottom end and some more upper midrange bite. More Marshall like in a way. The Lightspeed sounds more well behaved. YMMV of course. They're both amazing low to mid gain pedals.

Trending Topics