Greer Marauder 35

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratcat62, Oct 17, 2008.

1. stratcat62

stratcat62 Member

Anyone have any experience with this amp? I discovered it tonight and after reading that it's "designed give you those 'SRV, Texas Flood' tones", have made it my mission to play one or at least hear it. Is there any truth to that claim? If so, I think I'm going to need one.

2. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

I just found this amp, too. Anybody have one?

3. 241guy

241guy Senior Member

Where can I hear sound clips of this Nick Greer Maruder amp? (Prefer strat sounds!) I just ordered a Underdog 15 Mod 1 in an off beat blue scheme with a black grill. I walked into Steves Music Center in NY and I was checking out a GT 500 vs. Xotic pedal. The owner asked me if I wanted to try it out on a tube amp he had in the back. I played the pedals but then just realized the great pure tone of this amp. I thought about the amp every day for two weeks straight! I went back in and played the amp again and I knew I had to get it. I plunked down a deposit and I am patiently waiting. NOW I want to hear the rest of them!

4. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

The Maruader is very cool. to pigeon hole it into just a SRV amp is to do it a disservice. It really is very versatile. With a strat, at first fire, yeah it does get those big SRV tones, but by adjusting the knobs you can do a lot more with it. I believe it started out as trying to get more headroom into a tweed deluxe type amp, which it does well. But again, you can get lots of nice tones, and it takes pedals very well.

Been bugging Nick to do some clips myself. Wish I had one, they're really great amps.

5. sam30328

sam30328 Member

Bought a Marauder 3 mo. ago and could not be more pleased--compared it with 2 other Greer amps, and it came out on top.Great thick cleans that take pedals well(OCD for example).As Big Mike says,much more than SRV tones,but you will need a pedal to boost it into "Texas Flood" territory--or maybe size 13 strings and a Strat will get you there!
    The other key is my Greer 2x12 open back cab--Greenback and a G12H30 that he treats with special mojo ( rumored to be fabric softner).Best cab of my dozen to pick from.
    The Marauder is one of my favorite amps, and I've had plenty to compare it to.

Sam

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

7. Nick Greer

Nick Greer Member

The treatment is not fabric softener...that would actually soften the cone which would make the bottom flabby and take away most of the punch that the speakers produce...it would probably actually harm the cone.

Ng

8. sam30328

sam30328 Member

Nick,
    I took two of my speakers-Greenback and G12H30- and applied a thin coat of fabric softner to the outside of the cone and waited 24 hrs. to make sure it was dry.Those speakers now sound far better than before (ymmv),no flab,and able to withstand considerable volume.Of course, I don't know the long term performance, but they have held up well for around 10 hrs. use.

Sam

9. big mike

You're a braver man than I.

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I know very little about speakers but I'd be afraid that, while the speaker might sound good now, it would shorten it's life considerably.

I have visions of playing somewhere and one, or both, of them blowing.

11. 241guy

241guy Senior Member

Any chance of a Nick Greer coming out with reverb or effects loop. I am contemplating a Marauder.

12. Casey

Casey Member

I wouldn't count on it. I use a Holy Grail plus in front of my Greer Amps for reverb and it works great. It seems to me anytime I have an amp with onboard reverb it always ends up being a pain in the ass. Not due to the amp designs....but the Accutronics reverb tanks these days just don't hold up...YMMV.

13. big mike

Doubtful.

I mentioned 'FX loop' once....once....LOL

I believe he felt it interferes with the tone path.

14. 241guy

241guy Senior Member

I'll settle for one with reverb....just my two cents.....

15. 241guy

241guy Senior Member

Let me add that I would "bribe" Nick do one with reverb:)....