greer mini chief

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by feet, Jul 16, 2019.

1. feet

feet Supporting Member

not a lot of (useful) demos, and not a lot here, aside from "it's cool and i like it". thoughts? clips? gut shots? advice? speaker preferences?

vox and marshall are referenced in the ad copy, but i haven't really heard either from it, as of yet. which is a good thing, in my view; just trying to place the amp. do they mean like a top boost meets 18-watt blues breaker kind of thing?

2. feet

feet Supporting Member

3. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Not a ton of people around here on the Greer thing unfortunately
    Nick makes amazing amps

I know Phil x i using one

CBHTele likes this.
  4. feet

feet Supporting Member

well, if i see him around, i'll ask him :p

i wonder why that is. maybe a distribution thing, as the name is out there. people are all over their pedals. i'd love to see and know more about the thing, but it's a straight-up dice roll at this point. i'm sure it's cool, but if it somehow isn't for me, it doesn't look like the sort of thing i can move from easily. even if the price is on the precipice of affordable. for what they are claiming (point to point, hand-wired, mercury magnetics, etc). would love to see the internals, too.

already have voxes and i got the generic marshall sounds covered, but in the only decent demo out there, this seems like something else tonally. but when you demo it with 60s single coil guitars, it's hard to know who's doing what, exactly. that other demo out there is a disaster (guessing the v30s don't work with it), but he makes it seem fun, i guess, which may be the big takeaway.

5. Scuttlebutt

Scuttlebutt Member

Seemed to me that the visibility (and maybe the production?) of the amps dropped substantially when the pedal production ramped up. I did like my Cam.

s360guitarist likes this.
  6. big mike

You can only concentrate in so many areas at once.

Nicks a friend so I get how his mind works. Have had a ton of his gear and he’s all awesome
    Have a cam 18 and lightspeed as my main amp and drive

s360guitarist likes this.
  7. big mike

Oh and 5 bux nick voiced around a G12H30 but I’m guessing

8. feet

feet Supporting Member

i can see that. can't blame him for that. people have to eat.

interesting, as i've had good luck with that speaker in the past and have the scumback version in my ac4hw.

listening closer to that demo with good headphones, i can sort of hear a little more vox in there. not in how it sounds, exactly, but in the general vibe and feel of the thing. it acts a little more like my ac15hw than my ac4hw, so maybe i should get that ac15 out of storage and run some tests in a sad attempt to keep me from buying another amp.

thing is i'm stuck using load boxes and wall of sound for now, so i'm not sure if it is a waste of the amp's time or not. i wouldn't be able to play this thing through a real cab for a while so that does give me some pause. it does seem different enough from what i have to justify it, though, and it's cheaper than the hard wired tiny terrors i was looking at. i mainly play complex cleans and breakup tones and it looks like the mini chief can do that, though there obviously won't be a whole lot of headroom.

9. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Nick is a great guy. (I have his Cam18 as well.) It is a bad week to reach out to him cause of NAMM, but he is approachable for sure otherwise.

10. big mike

True dat. He's in Nashvegas right now.

11. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I played one at the local Greer dealer near me. It looks awesome and seems well built. It didn’t knock me out sonically, but I didn’t dig that deep into it, or use my guitar/pedals into it. I’d like to give one another shot.