Greer Thunderbolt 30

samuelson

I've been swapping tubes with my thunderbolt 30 and wondered if the Tung-sol EL34 B's were compatable? I've tried new issue mullard EL 34, JJ EL34's and KT 77's and I don't hear much difference.

anyone have their thoughts on what tubes sound best? (for classic rock band)

using a Z-best cabinet until Kerry Wright finished my order.:YinYang

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Nick loves the 34B's. No worries there.
I'm surprised you don't hear much difference with the kt77's verses the E34Ls. I hear a huge differenece as far as low end push and also a cleaner tone with the 77's.

I'm currently running some old black base tesla EL34's.
Also what are you running for preamp tubes?
For new production tubes I like the tungsol's quite a bit.

Also for a completely different tone, you CAN drop in some 6L6's . I recommend the tungsol 6L6GC STR

big mike

Cathode biased
Also the power tubes will make a bigger difference based on how high you're running the master.

FYI new thing I tried last night, got some NOS Raytheon preamp tubes. OMG. what a fantastic V1 tube in that amp.

Edit: Just noticed you're in Fullerton. Cool!

If you're ever up this way (near oakland) let me know. I got about 5 greers. LOL Welcome to try some different Nick amps.

samuelson

Thanks Big Mike!! if you hear a difference in the tubes then I'm sure there is one. I'm not very good at hearing the differences although my "professional player" friends do and we laugh at how I don't hear it.

I'm interested in knowing more about the preamp tubes and possibly changing them. which one is the V1? the one near the power tubes or the other one?

thanks.

big mike

Cathode biased
V1 is the tube farthest left when staring at the back. So farthest away from the power tubes.

I've run a bunch of different stuff and in MOST cases, the new tungsol sounds just as good as most NOS stuff I've tried. Nick's done a really great job designing around current offerings. V2 is the phase inverter tube. I usually stick with a sovtek 12AX7LPS there for new stuff. Doesn't make much difference doing anything more expensive than that, the change is subtle. If you want LESS gain, then using something like a sovtek 5751 or 12AX7EH works well.

i usually live in input 2, my favorite. Bit more voxy sounding.

For New Old Stock tubes...or used even...I like the GE's a lot. Syvlania which I usually love in marshalls seem a little bit thin. The Raytheon I scored is amazing. I'm running a GE JAN 12AX7 in the V2 spot. Mostly for ruggedness. you don't hear as much difference there.

Haven't tried the new mullard's in that amp. I love the KT77's, that's my go to.
Also the GT branded E34LS is a favorite. Those amps are a bit picky with tubes..usually you'll lose the low end thud and openness with an inferior (for that amp) tube.

The Tesla's were a gamble. I had them and the matching was a bit far apart than I like in my Marshallesque amps, so I tossed it int here on a whim. OMG it's amazing. But it'll probably wear them out pretty fast.

I do recommend a NOS Rectifier tubes. new ones just aren't reliable enough for gigging IMO.

What settings do you use, and what's the rest of your rig?

samuelson

I'm in a cover band and with this I can basically get rid of using most pedals. I just adjust the volume and master to get the needed grit and go from there. the amp seems at home with both my 62 strat and Les Pauls but I don't take the strat out of the house so I use mainly a tele or two and the Paul. It's a great gigging amp, even when mic'ed, and lightweight too.

I've hardly if ever used the input 2 so I'll experiment with that, as I'm a huge vox fan (with two Morgan amps and four Bad Cat amps a/w/a an ac30. Morgans are unbelievable.)

I also gig a lot with a PRS Korina with P90 pickups and it works well also.

what speakers do you prefer? I have just about everything to try in combo's or alone.

thanks for the info

big mike

Cathode biased
Awesome. I'm a tele junky, and use my P90 and Humbuckered thorns and PRS.

Speakers, i mostly use scumback M/H 75 pair. I do ride pedals a bit though.

samuelson

that's funny. I have just about everything but scumback; celestion, ASW, weber, WGS, jenson. (I'm a big Celestion fan.) tell me about the scumback.

and I do have lots of pedals. on the gigging board I use a zendrive and les luis lovepedal with keeley compressor and a flanger and chorus that doesn't get much use. At home I have a bunch of fulltone stuff, a tim pedal, roommate, lovepedal kanji. what would suggest for a good classic rock gain pedal? not that this amp needs one but it's always fun to get a new pedal.

the bad news!! I graduated from SDSU so I'm a big Chargers fan. Raiders spanked us twice this year.

big mike

Cathode biased
Charger fan! Ugg. At least your not a bronco fan. LOL

I Love nick's pedals...I use the Relic drive quite a bit.
Also I'm a big fan of the catalinbread SFT. That's a great non-TS type pedal.
Tim's are great, Not a zendrive fan. I tried, but too smooth for me. Xotic AC booster works really well with the TBolt too.

My pedalboard right now is
Tuner, Wah -> EVH Phase 90 ->SHO type boost ->Relic Drive -> Catalinbread SFT -> MXR Carbon Copy. Covers everything i need. Tele, P90 or bucker. I also run the tone cotnrol on the TBolt around 3. Makes a diff.

big mike

Cathode biased
Oh scumbacks...
Fabulous. Tonal clones of prerola celes.
Ive had them right next to originals from the 60s and they nail it without sounding tired.

I use essentially the g12m and g12h prerola sounding 20 waters.
Great tones.
I also use Greer and Reinhardt speakers depending on the cabs.
And a Wgs in one of my combos.
Haven't tried the asw's but id love to.

samuelson

I didn't know Nick even made pedals. I'll check it out. I do have several Xotic pedals, including that AC booster. and my phaser is the EVH one you have too. and MXR carbon copy also.

I really feel for you Raiders fans. Al Davis is absolutely nuts and has killed more draft picks and head coaches than anyone ever. all of us down here hate the broncos and Chiefs way more than the Raiders. After all, we have the "Lord of no Rings" running our team. And a head coach asleep at the wheel most of the time. hopefully there will be a season this year.

cheers.

big mike

Cathode biased
where is the best place to buy Greer Pedals?
Pedals Plus Effects Warehouse (.com) and Pedalgeek usually have a good stock in. Nick gets backordered from time to time so patience is key.

I'm technically a dealer but right now I'm on hiatus dealing with personal stuff. I've purchased from both of the above and they're good outfits. I believe infinity guitar in texas has a good rep as well.

and how on earth can Big Mike have 21,301 posts??????

Been a member and moderator for a Looooong time.
And apparently need a life. LOL

big mike

Cathode biased
I really feel for you Raiders fans. Al Davis is absolutely nuts and has killed more draft picks and head coaches than anyone ever. all of us down here hate the broncos and Chiefs way more than the Raiders. After all, we have the "Lord of no Rings" running our team. And a head coach asleep at the wheel most of the time. hopefully there will be a season this year.

cheers.
I don't think Al's NUTS, i think he's just trying TOO hard now, and has been bit in the ass hard listening to the wrong people.

Mike Lombardi and Norv Turner AND Art Shell really convinced him to to some wrong things IMO.

And he meddles too much, but I'll take him over Dan Snyder any day.

Lord of no rings. That's funny!
Broncos scare me with Elway at the helm. And KC being 'NE South'
Damn.

big mike

Cathode biased
Nice! Let me know how u like it.
That's my go-to overdrive for sure.

Where'd you get it?

samuelson

pedal arrived two days ago and today had a chance to 'crank it up.' great pedal. very usable volume control. great sound on the gain side. this pedal is going to get a lot of use live. i like how the volume knob, at 12 o'clock, is at the same level as the amp more or less. so many pedals need the volume just past 8 or 9 to mimic the amps volume. great pedal.

Trending Topics