Greer Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by saucyjack, Feb 16, 2009.

1. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Picked up a Greer Thunderbolt.
    Any opinions on this amp?
    Haven't done a full volume practice yet but cranking it up in the house really like it.
    I was trying to get a loud,cleanish sound out of it and ended up putting a 5751 and 12AT7 which seemed to help a bit...anyone played around with tubes in this amp.

2. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Been my main amp for several years. Haven't gigged without it since I got it.
    What power tubes are you using? KT77's will give you a bit cleaner tone.
    Also use input 2, which is a bit more 'voxy' voiced, it's not like most amps where it's just a -6 pad.

Also the Tone control is quite interactive with the amount of gain. Back it down some, she cleans up. Without getting muddy.

Any pics? Love to see it. Mine's red and black.

3. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Thanks.
    It has the JJ EL 34.
    I'm in input 2.
    KT 77s sound interesting...I see how it does at practice tomorrow night.
    I'll try and get up some pics soon.

4. big mike

Very cool. You can also run some 6l6 ( I like the new Tung Sol STR) for a cleaner tone.
    Also run the master up high, and bring the channel 'volume' up slowly, that's how I run my cleans.

Are they EL34 or E34L? The EL34 would give up the dirt sooner in that amp.

5. flickerbot

flickerbot Member

Are the cleans voxy- how does the amp take to pedals? I'm very interested in adding one to my collection...already have the Underdog- AWESOME. Also would be interested in hearing from ya'll if the master volume compresses the tone or not.

6. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Quickie review
    There were JJ EL34Ls in the amp.
    Ran it thru a 1x12 cab in practice.
    I would say the cleans can get fairly voxy with the tone knob up.

I was running Master at about 7 tone 5-7 and volume around 3.I love the grind this amp gets but mostly need a great clean platform and using pedals for gain.
    The tone is interesting and I haven't experimented enough with it.

Overall I'm liking the sounds...It seems to be missing some the Punch of my Reeves 50 but I'm not real surprised at that.
    I still need to tweak it for a few weeks but think I might try the Kt77's at some point.
    I wonder how it would sound with a solid state rectifier?

7. flickerbot

flickerbot Member

Thanks SaucyJack- I was thinking of using it for the same applications- clean with pedals for gain. You didn't happen to pick this one up on the bay did you? One went for a really good price last week...post some pics when you get a chance and keep on updating if ya don't mind!

8. big mike

That's how I use mine. Well, cleanish. I run a bit of hair on it and hit it with pedals.

The KT77's will definitely give you more head room.
    Also speaker sensitivity make a difference. For more 'chime' it works well with a H magnet type speaker, or even an Alnico if that's your bag.

I actually tend to 'darken' mine up with E34L's, and a M/H speaker mix. Tone control around 9 0'clock with my bucker loaded guitars.

9. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Just had to chime in and say that through I've never played YOUR'S, I have played through Big Mike's, and it's awesome!

Really a great amp, Greer's got it 'goin on!

Thanks, Dana O.