Greetings from Santa Cruz, CA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jmburke, Jan 9, 2008.

1. jmburke

jmburke Member

Hey all, been on the site for a while in the emporium clogging up the UCSC mail rooms but neglected to properly introduce myself. I'm currently a Business Management Economics student at UCSC and I've been playing for about three years and have a '87 Standard USA Stratocaster (courtesy of cranqued). As for amps I have a Blues Junior in the mail from NSRiley. Also have a dorm beater Yamaha FG730 and a keep at home under lock and key Martin D-28. Had to downsize over winter break because carrying my Flextone IIIXL up and down hills to my truck got to be a hassle. I'm originally from San Jose where Guitar Showcase was my main turf, but I'm discovering gems over here in SC such as Sylvan. I was also wondering if any fellow Santa Cruzians could point me in the direction of some blues venues over on this side of the hill. I've heard whispers of some on TGP but never really got to map them out and visit them. Thanks!

-Jason

2. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

Hey welcome,
    I am over in Aptos. For blues, you can hit Moes or Bocci's. I am not really a blooze guy myself, so others could steer you in a straighter direction. Hit up "Tonegurus" aka Mike Roberto. He is in Capitola and is a TW dealer and local knowitall when it comes to things bluezy, but in a good way.

Here is a link to my old punk band and last project. We gigged around town quite a bit for a time...
    http://www.myspace.com/emmeethguitarist

Take care,
    Emee

3. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

Welcome aboard Jason!

4. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Welcome to The Gear Page!

6. Mike

Mike Member

Welcome Jason!

For the local blues jam scene you should check out the Fog Bank in Capitola Village on Sunday nights. Every other Sunday is an alternating jam host. During the rest of week they book local acts.

Moe's is the biggie around here and they get great national acts all the time. Also check out Henflings.

Ah, Guitar Showcase. I've known those guys for 26 years.

Mike

7. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Member

Welcome! :RoCkIn

Check out the Fog Bank on Sundays! Usually goes from 8 to 11pm or so and everybody is really nice and supportive of younger players.... man! those guys can play! Sylvan has got some quality gear and Union Groove has the best and cheapest tech around, his name is Tim.

I'm on the Westside by Safeway. Check out my new project in SC, www.myspace.com/nightsweatmusic I also play in SF with www.myspace.com/chiaramusic

:BEER
    Marcus

8. joel

joel Member

Welcome, This is a fine place to waste enless time! Looks like I'm between you and SkydogFan, at the base of campus. Come by, sip a beer and twang sometime! Cheers, /jd

9. BeautifulGuitar

BeautifulGuitar Member

Greetings Jason,

Welcome!

10. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Member

Yep, its about time for a SC TGP party where everybody can bring their TGP approved gear to try...my place is "semi soundproofed" and has a BBQ! I We should set something up in the near future. PM me if your are interested.

11. joel

joel Member

That'd be fun, although it would force me to spend the time to change some strings! I could bring my Thorn and a relic (even though I just learned that relics aren't cool! Sigh...).

12. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Welcome Jason.. (just south of ya ..)
    Have probably spent more money at Sylvan Music then any other store period..
    With Guitar Showcase running a close second ...

Ahh, the memories of various women met at Henflings ... :)

13. jmburke

jmburke Member

yeah, that sounds pretty cool.. my amps still in the mail though

14. MattJohnPaul

MattJohnPaul Member