"Greetings from Tim Buckley" - movie

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by CowTipton, Feb 19, 2015.

1. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

Anyone seen it?
    I have it DVR'd as it's being played on Showtime.

Opinions?

2. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Penn Badgley nailed the role as far as I'm concerned. but the movie itself was aimless, slow and not all that enjoyable IMO.

3. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

What he said.

4. Ivo

Ivo Member

Huge Jeff fan so I never saw the film as I would be too biased. Anyone who's heard, read or seen Jeff in action would know how much of a character he was and what a strong impression he left. Pretty unique personality, imo. Haven't ever met or seen someone like him since. I can't see that faked on screen, even if done well. Just seems creepy and cringeworthy.

In any case, what Clev said seems to be spot on from the general opinions I've read. The filmmakers were in a rush to cash in on the newly minted, late 00s Jeff Buckley craze and didn't have the rights to his music, so they did an aimless take on the small period of his life they could. No harm in checking it out if you are at least interested. The worst that could happen is you being bored.

5. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Big Tim Buckley fan here. Bought all his LPs and never failed to catch him when he was in town.

Watched the movie and found the only thing worth a darn was the music.

6. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

Watched it.

The reviews were correct, it sucked.

Also, TGP review:

The redhead at the end is playing a Pacific Reef Limited Edition Les Paul which did not exist in 1991.

7. Ivo

Ivo Member

Ok. Because of this thread, I looked up Badgley's performance. Wow! He got it so wrong! Sounded nothing like Jeff, both vocally and style-wise and his physical mimicry was so out of place. Doing little 'sexy' histrionics that Jeff never did for this performance. It's like he saw a bunch of videos of Jeff singing from different periods and tried to squeeze in as many mannerisms as he could into one out of place performance. Also, his horrible strumming got the cadence all wrong and made it look like Jeff had no timing. lol :facepalm Plus, fake Rebecca giving him the googly eyes from a distance was so cheesy.

Here's Jeff from the actual "Greeting From Tim Buckley" performance:

Mood was a lot lighter and playful. Less sexy and more a melancholic tribute to his father.