Greg Allman Tour Album w/ Cowboy 1974

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by TopDog, Feb 3, 2012.

1. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

My mother bought me the Gregg Allman tour album when I was 16 in 1975, along with Traffic's on the Road and Trower's Bridge of Sighs (yeah I'm old). The good old days of albums, boy I miss them.

I played the **** out of those 3 albums -btw

Anyway, I listened to it today and it still stands up. What a great recording, the band is top shelf and GA is at his prime. But what has always risen to the top for me is the tune "Time Will Take Us" by Cowboy. That's such a killing tune, I love the arrangement the lyrics and the playing.

I'ts really nice to go back and listen to great music post the digital age. I'm so glad I grew up in the 70's.

Any love for this?

2. Kevbo599

Kevbo599 Silver Supporting Member

I still enjoy that album, I saw that tour at the Capitol Theater in NJ and it was a great show. I also like the Cowboy albums, they wrote some great songs including "Please Be With Me", "All My Friends", etc.

3. John H

John H Silver Supporting Member

Caught the Shrine Auditorium show of that tour. They were LOUD!!!!! Great show. Cowboy was amazing.

4. MarcJ

MarcJ Member

I saw that show in Charlotte, which was the second show of the tour I believe. We had great seats in front of Greg. The guy was very high, his face was red and his eyes very stoned. He spilled a drink all over himself and the organ, he changed clothes during intermission. This was at the time he had Scooter Herring and an Macon Pharmacist scoring him the best drugs on the planet. I'm glad the guy survived it. Anyway, the music was great. I've got it on cd and pull it out once in awhile. Queen of Hearts is a great song and that version of Midnight Rider was cool. Got lots of radio play here in NC.

5. Cumberland

Cumberland Member

During that court case, the judge asked whether Allman actually remembered much of this tour ... the answer was "no"

I dig it , along with laid back

6. Rick N Boogie

Rick N Boogie Member

Not a big GA fan, but I am the same age as the op, and glad to have lived through the 70's. Such a vast array of great music back then. I recently re-installed my phonograph to my stereo system, and have been listening to vinyl alot lately. It's so much more "real" sounding than a CD or MP3 file, even with the occasional pop or crackle.

7. DV52

DV52 Member

I was at the show in Boone at App. state.great show.Also wore out the record.I think I have it on cd,must find it and give it some playing time,thanks for reminding me about it......

8. DV52

DV52 Member

Found it.I played it while out running errands,damn good .

9. fusion58

fusion58 Member

+1.

"Laid Back" was always in continuous rotation at all my buds' houses when I was a teen. Iconic record!

10. beanbass

beanbass Member

I loved that album and Laid Back. "Queen Of Hearts" was great. The moody remake of "Midnight Rider" was great. I have to get those again.

11. KazJY

KazJY Member

I like this album, and yes, Laid Back like beanbass. I like Laid Back much more, but it's all good. I have them on vinyl, and only play em that way. it's just how I remember them from when I got them. good vibes!